Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Mauser actioned rifle, with the original Mauser safety

Question Looking for a Mauser actioned rifle, with the original Mauser safety

What rifles being made today would have a Mauser style action with the original vertical Mauser safety? I want to spend about 8000, so custom German makers such as Klett and Jung are out of my price range. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by adrian44 View Post
    What rifles being made today would have a Mauser style action with the original vertical Mauser safety? I want to spend about 8000, so custom German makers such as Klett and Jung are out of my price range. Cheers.
    For 8,000 you can buy yourself an awful lot of Mauser actioned rifle, sure you haven't added an extra zero by mistake?
    If you are looking at a Mauser wing safety have you looked at the original 98 action on the Mauser website. I am sure that any gunsmith worth his salt will fit a wing safety for you to a 98 action if you ask.

P.S. Adrian you still haven't introduced yourself by posting an introduction in the relevant section.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Rigby will do you one for less than than that, with trigger and safety options.

David.

Have a look through Holts auction. If you are looking for new actions then Prechtl in Germany or Mayfair in the UK, or find a military rifle and use that as the basis.

I have a vertical flag safety on a m98 I would gladly trade for a safeless bolt shroud.....you will just have to find the rest of the rifle!

You can get a marvelous Mauser built by a master from the 1960s, on an FN, Brno, or Oberndorf action for $1000 to $2500 USD.
    There are plenty in the US and in England, with classic line, and many with beautiful engraving fine scopes and mounts.

If you want ideas or advice, you need to provide more details of intended use, cartridges, style of stock and sight ( British Stalking Rifle, German, American ), and examples of what you like. There are two many good rifles out there without some narrowing it down.

Have a look at a few second/3rd/4th hand ones on www.WestleyRichards.com
    Last edited by Southern; 12-11-2014 at 23:28.

Have you tried Ron Wharton es Rigby. I have 2 of his rifles - first class

http://www.bunduki.co.uk/cat3126.html

LOTS of options! My own Oberdorf actioned .275, built around the time of WW1, was virtually unused and in mint condition.....less than 1000 at auction. Still has its flag safety, still in regular use. Look at Holts, Bonhams, Gavin Gardner.

If you want a modern calibre...still plenty of options. Original Mauser actions are still to be found if you look hard, or if you want a brand new one, then Heym SR20's post above is dead on.

Gunmakers? Lots of them in your homeland, but if you want it built in UK there are names in earlier posts, or look at Steve Kershaw Firearms - Home page. Steve will build modern or classic style and the quality and accuracy of his work is top class.

For 8000 you should be able to get exactly what you want, with plenty of cash left over for the party! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by adrian44 View Post
    ...with the original vertical Mauser safety?
    Why? Unless you are going to use the rifle without a scope an original pattern safety will be a hinderance. When I was building a lot of rifles on M98 actions one of the first orders of business was to fit a low, tw0-postion safety that would clear the ocular bell. Even if your scope has such a large objective that the safety will swing under it manipulation is awkward to say the least.

SS

Speak to Dorleac and Dorelac