Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mouflon in czech with sikamalc

Mouflon in czech with sikamalc

Well we all 5 of us set off last Monday morning for the Czech republic and our 4 day Mouflon hunt. The usual procedures through Heathrow dispensed with and in 90 minutes we were in Prague where I had arranged for 2 cars to meet the group and transport us to the hunt area 3 hours drive away.

A nice evening meal awaited us and the celebrations started with our drinking the bar dry of beer and making a start on the two crates we had purchased from the local off licence. There were some sore heads the next morning, but the weather was glorious and the surrounding mountains and forests breath taking with the full glory of autumn colours meeting us as we drove into the hunt area.

We were hunting an area of miles of state owned forest that had been leased, and had a cull target of 300 animals to come off the area. These were Mouflon, Red deer, Roe deer and Wild Boar.
    The forests are on very steep hills which Mouflon take full advantage of and as the rut was also in progress we looked forward to an exciting 3 day hunt. Rifles sorted and with a guide each and a vehicle each we all set off to our allotted areas to hunt Mouflon. We all covered a large area each and on my first outing saw a good number of ewes within the forest and also a large group in the far off distance that had two very large rams attending. However it was a good mile and a half away and was on some fields adjoining the forest which was not our ground, therefore the hunt continued.

Returning to the local BB we discovered that Ricky had taken a nice ram that scored into the high Bronze mark and it was an excellent start.

Over the next two days we all saw Mouflon, Red Deer and Roe deer, and also sign of Wild Boar. Pheasant Sniper took his ram on day 2, after seeing a huge ram, but eventually taking a very nice mature ram with a single shot. This followed on day 3 with myself, Scrumbag and Ross taking a nice ram each. We had a bit of a wait to find Scrummys but it all turned out well in the end for everyone, and Scrummy's Mouflon was an outstanding beast which makes silver medal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20141106_010.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	48880

The smile say's it all. Many congratulations Mike a stunning animal.

However we all had a bet that the last person to take a Mouflon would have to eat one of the testicles of their ram.............raw!! and like the gentlemen that he is Mike did the deed in style.

Name:	WP_20141106_021.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	325.5 KB 
ID:	48881

Yum yum!!!

We all had a great time, and saw plenty of quality Mouflon, all fair chase NO FENCES and in beautiful countryside and with perfect hosts.

Name:	WP_20141106_002.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	273.7 KB 
ID:	48882

My Mouflon ram, reaching high Bronze medal.

I will be conducting further trips next season (early November) on a similar basis and already have one booking. I will be taking 4 clients each time and for anyone interested in booking in advance please PM me or email me through my website www.ukoutfitters.co.uk

I am sure there will be further postings regarding the trip, Terry has some interesting photos and a piece of short film I am sure he cannot wait to share!!

Thank you again to Mike, Ricky, Ross and Terry for sharing the hunt with me, look forward to seeing you all again.

Best wishes

Malc.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I am really pleased the trip worked out well for you Malcolm and everyone connected, great result.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	627.9 KB 
ID:	48887
    Thanks again Malc it was a fantastic trip with great hunting and even greater company and am looking forward to future adventures, all the best sickrick

Quote Originally Posted by RickyC View Post

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	627.9 KB 
ID:	48887
    Thanks again Malc it was a fantastic trip with great hunting and even greater company and am looking forward to future adventures, all the best sickrick
    As always Ricky a pleasure to be in your company and hunting with you. It was a great trip made even better by the great company of good guys. I have emailed Czech and will have some proposals for your Boar hunt shortly.

See you next week.

Malc
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Thanks for sharing - sounds like you had a great time. Glad the "last to kill eats the gonads" rule did not apply to Scotland

It was indeed an awesome trip folks!

Nice trip, and looks like there's some good Mouflon there. Well done

Here's some further photos of the area and animals taken with the lads.

Name:	DSC_0011.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	439.7 KB 
ID:	48900

Outside the accommodation.

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	334.5 KB 
ID:	48901

View from the accommodation.

Name:	DSC_0052.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	384.2 KB 
ID:	48902

Me and the lads with Ross trophy and mine.

Name:	WP_20141105_001.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	359.9 KB 
ID:	48903

View of part of the forest looking down into the valley.

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

We certainly had a great trip, very well organised by Malc and the guys in Czech.

The drive from the airport was hard to believe, in a 3 hour journey I would guess close to 100 roe, 25 odd fallow and a red hind was spotted.

The accommodation was great, nice comfortable rooms and a good shower which is definitely what was needed after sweating buckets traipsing up and down the Czech hills.

Malc was not exaggerating when he said we drank the bar dry. The bar maid must have walked a couple of miles from the bar and back to our table. The best thing was we did not have to reorder our drinks, as soon as she saw we had a few swigs left we would be handed a full pint or half litre as it is on the continent.

The woods were a mixture of mainly beach with a few other broadleaf trees which had in the main turned to their autumn colours, they had almost finished depositing their leaves on the forest floor. Larch and other pine trees were also in abundance. The valleys were very steep sided and some you would not be able to take a direct route up without the use of ropes. It was nice to see some traditional timber extraction, one of the foresters was using a horse.

On every outing mouflon was seen by myself, a great ram was seen on the first stalk but he gave me all of half a second for a shot and he was up and over the 45 degree hill in a matter of seconds. When I got back from the first stalk Ricky told me had been stalking near to where our car was parked in the forest. Ricky had already bagged his ram by this time, he saw a very very nice ram 50 yards from our car!!

Lunch was served in the hunting house every day which was cooked by the girlfriend of one of the guides, the food was incredible. On one afternoon we had fallow steaks and home made potatoe wedges, no fabrication there would have been enough steaks for 20 people plus, but we managed to polish them off between the 5 of us and 2 of the guides!!!

As well as seeing mouflon, roe and red deer you may also be surprised to know that there were a few mustelids in the woods, I saw a weasel running across the forest floor in search of its prey I believe Malc also saw one on an evening stalk very close to our lodgings

I was very pleased to take a nice ram on the last days hunting, the shot was at approximately 150 yards at a steep angle, he dropped on the spot with a well placed heart and lung shot. He had a very thick set of horns and a very impressive mane. The guides German Quail Hunting Dog made light work of the drag back to the path, despite him being not much bigger than a springer he dragged the ram down the hill almost to our feet, the dog was only stopped as the rams horns had got tangled up in the undergrowth. The rifle I used was a Blaser R93 with a nice bit of wood chambered in 300 Weatherby Magnum. The quick reload left me with a small cut on my nose, I had not accounted for the longer action and keeping on target in case the beast got to his feet and made a dash for the Polish border.

I was very glad to not be the last person to get a mouflon on the ground, as the b@llox were cricket ball sized, Terry has a great video that I hope he will upload of Scrummys mouthful, the dribble down his chin was not photo-shopped in!!!

I think Malc had taken a few group photos with mine and his ram on the grass, which he has now kindly added to his post.

I know there is another member on the site that was gutted that he could not come due to a reoccurring injury to his knee, so maybe I will go again next year to keep him company and to add further to my wall if I get lucky again.

Like Malc and Ricky have already said, a great bunch of lads good friends were met and I am sure a few more beers and stories will be shared in the future.

So to sum up, a trip that I would recommend to anyone, the only advice I would give is be prepared to take a very very quick shot, these mouflon are turbo charged and do not hang around!! Also take some PG Tips as the Czech tea is nowhere near as good as the English, but I am sure we should have known that before we left.
    Last edited by 270Buck; 09-11-2014 at 08:02. Reason: More detail added and photos

Well done guys keep the photos coming.