Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lapua brass 308 vs 243

Question Lapua brass 308 vs 243

Just reading the new bushwear catalogue looking at the reloading section got me wondering why lapua 243 brass is £25 per 100 more expensive than 308? PPU brass is same price generally for similar size common calibres.. Any thoughts? (this is not a pop at bushwear as most other suppliers have same pricing structure)

A similar question was asked on the site only a few weeks ago Timney. It's mainly to do with economies of mass production as .308 is a military/police calibre used by numerous forces throughout the world.
    Have a look at the price of Lapua .308 cases with small primers (Palma match) for comparison.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

But surely they will produce and sell enough .243 brass worldwide to hunters and target shooters - after all its a common and popular (some on here may argue, lol!) calibre? I assume there are more suppliers to the police and military than just Lapua, so how come other suppliers manage to keep the prices fairly consistent - as I said PPU are the same price for both .308 and .243 brass? I bet if Lapua reduced the price of the .243 to the price of .308 then they'd probably sell twice as many, but am sure they have already weighed up the pro's and cons and economics of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Timney View Post
    But surely they will produce and sell enough .243 brass worldwide to hunters and target shooters - after all its a common and popular (some on here may argue, lol!) calibre? I assume there are more suppliers to the police and military than just Lapua, so how come other suppliers manage to keep the prices fairly consistent - as I said PPU are the same price for both .308 and .243 brass? I bet if Lapua reduced the price of the .243 to the price of .308 then they'd probably sell twice as many, but am sure they have already weighed up the pro's and cons and economics of it all.
    Because they can. Also because Lapua has a good reputation for good brass ( and it is ) but there is also other makers as good just not as well known.

I would have thought that as they start out the same cartridge but the 243 requires marginally more tooling to get the smaller neck that would account for some of the cost as it takes slightly longer?

Just bought lapua brass 308 for£50 per100,my mate bought 6.5x55 for £96per 100 i love the 308

Jason you wouldn't be laughing if you had decided to buy the .308 cases that take small primers, because you would be paying about the same as your mate with the 6.5x55.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I was looking at 6.5x55 Lapua brass in the shop 2 days ago, £100 on the nose! Very expensive but then again supposedly very good!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Christ I'm glad that I bought the large rifle primer cases ,I bought some lapua 22-250 cases they were £110.00 for 100 had a job to get them,I saved on one lot but payed for the other ,you can't win them all

The last 2 lots of Lapua 6.5x55 brass I bought only cost £68 or just under each.