Thread: Greetings from a South African trained Sussex Stalker....

Greetings from a South African trained Sussex Stalker....

Hi Everyone
    I have been a member of the Stalking directory for some months, but it slipped my mind to do the intro....apologies.

I grew up in SA so stalked extensively on friends and relatives farms from the age of about 12. I stalked mainly bushveld and plains antelope (with some wingshooting thrown in for kicks!). I worked my way up from a .270 via a .300, 303 to settle on a 30-06 as my caliber of choice out there (with loads of vermin control with a .22 and 22 hornet). I shot competitively at a provincial and national level with a .22 also, but that was not as fun as being out in the field (as I am sure many of you can attest to!).

I stalk with a .308 in the UK and am keen to get out doing more stalking here in West Sussex or the Kent / Sussex / Surrey areas. I am finding it challenging knowing how to get more land to do the deer management of or who to pay to go stalking with.

I'm sure you can imagine how our local FAO raised his eyebrows when I applied for a .308 (and .22) as my first rifles....."why don't you just go for a .243 like everybody else" was pretty much his comment!

I look forward to being a part of the forum

Tayles007

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll find stalking down in the south. There's certainly plenty of deer. I think you may find getting your own land a bit different to SA. Some good blokes on here a few from your area.
    I hope you have many happy times ahead here in England, where we are lucky to have such good hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayles007 View Post
    Hi Everyone
    I have been a member of the Stalking directory for some months, but it slipped my mind to do the intro....apologies.

I grew up in SA so stalked extensively on friends and relatives farms from the age of about 12. I stalked mainly bushveld and plains antelope (with some wingshooting thrown in for kicks!). I worked my way up from a .270 via a .300, 303 to settle on a 30-06 as my caliber of choice out there (with loads of vermin control with a .22 and 22 hornet). I shot competitively at a provincial and national level with a .22 also, but that was not as fun as being out in the field (as I am sure many of you can attest to!).

I stalk with a .308 in the UK and am keen to get out doing more stalking here in West Sussex or the Kent / Sussex / Surrey areas. I am finding it challenging knowing how to get more land to do the deer management of or who to pay to go stalking with.

I'm sure you can imagine how our local FAO raised his eyebrows when I applied for a .308 (and .22) as my first rifles....."why don't you just go for a .243 like everybody else" was pretty much his comment!

I look forward to being a part of the forum

Tayles007

Welcome to the site. I am right in your neck of the woods, so drop me an email or Pm for a chat.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Hello and Welcome to the site

Regards
    Nev

Welcome to the site mate.
    Been meaning to call u for catch up.
    You won't go wrong with Malc or Sussexsteve both great guys.
    Z.