Thread: Radio 4 - Farming Today - focus this week on deer

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Radio 4 - Farming Today - focus this week on deer

Caught Farming Today this morning on my way up North.

Apparently they are focusing this week on deer, both farmed and wild. This is because the domestic market for venison has expanded by 400% in just over the last year .

Today's programme visited Bradgate Park in Leicestershire, which has recently brought venison processing and butchery back in-house. There was a good discussion with Peter Tildsley (the land agent) and Matthew Smith (the head ranger), talking about how they are culling 120-130 deer per annum (all in-house, with no commercial stalking) and managing all the processing. Apparently this has helped the estate to double their income from venison, whilst also helping in terms of educating the general public about the need to control deer. There was a short discussion about the merits of culling vs other non-lethal methods (i.e. contraception).

Well worth a listen - BBC Radio 4 - Farming Today, Scottish Rural Parliament, Deer, Beef Recovery
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 10-11-2014 at 08:48.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

A good interview from the BBC with some excellent replies to the questions from those interviewed.
    Thanks for posting the link.
    ATB 243 Stalker

Thanks Very much Willie_Gunn a nice listen and a good way to deal with deer with out the worry.

Yes the whole week covered deer related issues

10th - 15th Nov

BBC Radio 4 - Farming Today - Episodes by date, November 2014

Also found this short clip from 2005

BBC iPlayer - Wild - 2005-06 Shorts: 4. Deer in the City

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

It was good I listened to it and it was very informative.

D

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Caught Farming Today this morning on my way up North.

Apparently they are focusing this week on deer, both farmed and wild. This is because the domestic market for venison has expanded by 400% in just over the last year .

Today's programme visited Bradgate Park in Leicestershire, which has recently brought venison processing and butchery back in-house. There was a good discussion with Peter Tildsley (the land agent) and Matthew Smith (the head ranger), talking about how they are culling 120-130 deer per annum (all in-house, with no commercial stalking) and managing all the processing. Apparently this has helped the estate to double their income from venison, whilst also helping in terms of educating the general public about the need to control deer. There was a short discussion about the merits of culling vs other non-lethal methods (i.e. contraception).

Well worth a listen - BBC Radio 4 - Farming Today, Scottish Rural Parliament, Deer, Beef Recovery
    The basis for my claim that Game Dealers are "having it large" at the expense of stalkers. Be they with or without SFB registration of course!

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.