Thread: Rifle cleaning: an Idiot's guide

Rifle cleaning: an Idiot's guide

I've recently bought my first rifle, and I would obviously like to take care of it.

I appreciate there are mixed views on cleaning; boresnakes, rods, different fluids of what (not) to use etc etc

However, I would appreciate any help/advice on what to do pre-shooting (the gun has never been fired), cleaning post-shooting (a few shots / many shots - any difference), if being stored for long periods.

Can anyone recommend a website/link/youtube video that would babystep me through it.

Thanks

I seem to think that Spud on here has uploaded some on YouTube

Every one has their own regime or not regarding cleaning, so I'm not going to start that arguement. You can look up various writings and Youtube postings and form your own opinion.

All I will say though is clean the barrel before you shoot it. Make sure that you have cleaned out any protective greases or oils that may have been applied to the bore.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

arron; do you have links mate?

8x57; is there a recommended way to do so? Is it simply using rod and attachments or is there a liquid product I should be using?

Thanks

You are trying to draw me into the arguement on cleaning now Mel.

The way that I would do it initially is to use a rod with bore guide, a jag and a solvent soaked patch. After the initial wet patch continue to push patches through until they come out clean and dry.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Excellent. That is all I ask before the next war begins...thanks for the help!

Ps. Is there a particular solvent or does that get in to the realms of battle also??! ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by melgalvis View Post
    arron; do you have links mate?

8x57; is there a recommended way to do so? Is it simply using rod and attachments or is there a liquid product I should be using?

Thanks
    It's something like spudproductions or spud 1967 or something ,but as said above really , that's all I do !