Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vareation

Vareation

Sent of my paper work for a vareation for a .270 on Tuesday.
    Yesterday i had a call from the licensing branch.
    Thought right here we go time for a grilling from licensing about why i need a .270
    But to my surprise all they wanted was to cut back the amount of ammo i requested i had asked to purches 100 & store 200 they cut me back to 100 & store 120.
    Then she told me that my license would be back in a couple of days not a bad result i thought.
    So hopfully a new rifle next week if things go to plan.

John

Congratulations on the new rifle but I cannot understand such a silly low amount of ammunition. I take it your not a handloader.

Hi
    i would ask for more ammo than that. especially as this sort of stuff is getting harder and harder to get hold of. every time i ring up to buy ammo and bullet heads for my customers the importers all ways don't have half my stuff, so this is half my customers with out ammo. this is not good. the smallest amount i would have is 200 to buy. then when you find a round that shoots you can go out and buy 200 and be happy for a wile.

ATB
    Cam

Dont homeload at the moment but i will be starting to load for the .270 to try & cut down on costs. Then mabey start loading for my .222.& .243.
    They were trying to get me to purchase 40 & store 60 no good to any one they finaley settled for 100 Store 120.
    My cert if up for renewal in Oct so by then hopfully i will be homeloading & will be able to up my amunition.

John

I have just put my variation in as well and yp i got a call no real suprise all they wanted was a reason for another deer cal i have 243,270,30-06 and i asked for a 300winmag. when i told her each was for a specific deer ie 243=roe 270 sika 30-06 red and the 300 long range and abroad she went thats fine, but as for ammo i'v gone for buy 200 and hold 500 so we will see
    hope yours comes back soon
    amberdog

Hi,
    Just got my variation and upped all my ammo holdings due to reloading and use expanding ammo. Had no problems with it. I can now hold 500 and buy 300 of .223 and .243.

D

Got my cert back on Tuesday thats 1 week from poasting to dropping threw the door & no resrictions on where i can use the .270 as long as the land is sutable not a bad result.
    Will be picking up a .270 X-bolt with a T8 mod today.
    Hopfully will be out later today for a few shots at some targets.

John

Welldone top result hope you get your new toy out i got mine back in a week as well
    amberdog

Quote Originally Posted by MACKY View Post
    Got my cert back on Tuesday thats 1 week from poasting to dropping threw the door & no resrictions on where i can use the .270 as long as the land is sutable not a bad result.
    Good luck with the new rifle and that turn around time on the variation is superb compared to a lot of forces where we hear of 6 weeks to 3 months being the norm!

You haven't mentioned how long you have already held the FAC for the .243 & .223 but if it's up for renewal in October I'm guessing you have held it for at least four years? If that's the case then it seems pretty mean of them not to remove the restriction you have in your condition over where you can use the firearms at this stage and make it an 'open' cert. As others have already pointed out the ammo allowance is miserly as well so why not try and get it increased at renewal?

It is a open cert from strathclyde.
    It reads ( FOR SHOOTING DEER & VERMIN ON LAND OVER WHICH THE HOLDER HAS PERMISSION TO SHOOT WITH THAT CLASS OF FIREARM FROM THE PERSON BY WHOM SHOOTING RIGHT ARE OWNED OR FROM WHOM THEY MAY BE LEASED OR ATHERWISE OBTAINED)
    I have held a certificate for 15 years as of October.
    Strathclye will give you a open cert first time but they always try to cut you back on ammo, will put more down on next renewal.

Cheers
    John