Greetings from the West country

Leopoldo

Hi folks,

I'm a woodland officer and I work closely with estates, private individuals and deer management groups. I'm not yet a stalker myself, however, and don't yet have a FAC, but I figured it was about time I did so, so I'm in the process of applying. I am keen to be stalking by next year's season, after a summer of ensuring that I am equipped, trained, and that my marksmanship is up to scratch, etc.

Mainly joining the forum to get some friendly advice about a number of issues before I get the FAC application in, including best calibre to go for first time and general "newbie" issues.

Ta in advance

Leo

Hi Leo,

Welcome into the mad house! :0)

I am local and coach / stalk full-time - feel free to give me yell & we can start 'talking stalking'.

Best wishes,

Ian

Hi Leo,

Welcome to the site, be patient and absorb the great advice and you will learn a great deal, I know that I have benefited hugely from the site.

You won't go far wrong if you spend some time with Ian, I have done a bit of stalking with him and done his shooting skills course and he is a very knowledgeable and patient man whose enthusiasm for teaching is inspiring, if I lived a bit closer I would be knocking his door every week!

Regards,

Martin

Hi Leo,

Welcome into the mad house! :0)

I am local and coach / stalk full-time - feel free to give me yell & we can start 'talking stalking'.

Best wishes,

Ian

Welcome, I'm over near Barnstaple.

Put in for a .22 for rabbits and cheap practice then a deer calibre centerfire. There'll be lots of folks who'll debate calibre but I'd expect that 95% of deer are taken with a .243 or a .308 in this country. If you might want to be taking reds, many folks will say .308 while others will say a .243 is plenty if your shot placement is good. I went with .308.

Oh and I'd highly recommend taking Ian up on his stalking and rifle tuition, I had a great day with him and learned a great deal, and I plan to go back for more when funds allow.

Back