Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primers...will they affect accuracy????

Primers...will they affect accuracy????

Hi all,
    In my 6.5 I have been using cci primers but today when I went to buy some more they where out of stock so I have bought some remingtons instead.
    This maybe a daft question but will they effect accuracy at all?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Will84 View Post
    Hi all,
    In my 6.5 I have been using cci primers but today when I went to buy some more they where out of stock so I have bought some remingtons instead.
    Cheers
    Entirely plausible they will affect accuracy and also entirely plausible they may push a load from safe to unsafe.
    Primers are not equal, they have different levels of brisance and hardness making some drive higher pressure loads or more prone to piercing of leaking on high loads.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/PrimerPix.html click link for a nice graphic on the possible difference a brand makes.

Remington small rifle are harder than the CCI. I've not tried the large rifle Remington.
    Federal don't work as well in my rifles as the CCI large rifle or the CCI BR2.
    Last edited by Milligan; 11-11-2014 at 19:41.

Yes, they do and do so quite spectacularly in some instances.

I don't really bother testing to the nth degree with my stalking rifle loads - so long as they're sub half moa I'm happy.

But I do go the extra mile with my target rifles. Its certainly worth finding a load, then changing primers to se if the group shrinks or opens up.

"Some Like It Hot"

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Will84 View Post
    Hi all,
    Cheers
    remmington 9 1/2 ? i had problems seating them in the 6.5 went onto cci from them and never looked back

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Thanks for the replies
    Yes thats them, will try loading a few tomorrow evening, if they fit and see if theres any change down range

I'll develop a load using federal large primers, and when it's good, I'll swap to CCI, and it goes to 'great'

When I worked a load up for my AR, I used CCI as they seem to flatten before the Remington ones, so when pushing for a 'hotter than 223' loads for my 5.56 chamber I can see just a little earlier when approaching the limits. (Bearing in mind, 'hot' is only 2550fps as it's only a tiddly short barrel)

So yes, primers can, and do, make a difference

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Assuming we're talking standard LR primers (Rem 9 1/2 v CCI-200), the Remington is noticeably 'hotter'. In 308 Win with a 168gn match bullet and near maximum load of Viht N140, the Remington model gives around 20-25 fps higher velocities which may not sound a lot but is significant for a primer change on its own.

Yes, they will affect accuracy, as they are a variable in the recipe, just like the powder, brass and bullets. Some powders, especially in longer cases with slow powders, need a hotter primer like the Winchester LR or even a magnum primer to light them up uniformly. Other powders would generate way too much pressure from a hot primer and a full dose of of powder. If you buy 100 primers, load up a recipe with works for you and shoot a group of 5. If it is good, run back and buy more of the same lot, and mark them as such. Date them. They last a long time, but the point is to know what batch you have of each primer.

there is a list of primers cold to hot on the www will try to find it