Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 short magnum

300 short magnum

Any body out there had any experience of the 300 Short magnum. im contemplating a T3 Lite in this calibre any advice or opinions please. Main use Red deer on the open hill.

Quote Originally Posted by topscots1 View Post
    Any body out there had any experience of the 300 Short magnum. im contemplating a T3 Lite in this calibre any advice or opinions please. Main use Red deer on the open hill.
    Hi there

Used to have a 300WSM in a Sako Finnlight. Great rifle but I struggled with the recoil (yes, yes, I'm a woose) in such a light rifle. I really did like the round though and although load testing and zeroing was a pain because the light barrel got so hot so quickly, it really was an accurate beast. I reckon I'll end up with another but not in a light rifle. Unless you're re-loading I think you'll find finding factory loads tricky and very expensive. If you're not reloading and want the knock down power then a standard 300WM would probably be a better option - certainly in terms of factory options all around the planet.

Hope that helps

FN

also shoot 300wsm and find it very accurate , i fitted a jet z mod and recoil is very acceptable now

andy

Thank you had never even heard of the calibre till today till I seen the rifle. How much are we talking for factory ammo and where do i find it

Thank you had never even heard of the calibre till today till I seen the rifle. How much are we talking for factory ammo and where do i find it
    As I said, it'll be hard to find and expensive. I've not seen any factory ammo for some years. I've just done a quick google and can't find any so I'm guessing you'll be phoning around unless someone the SD knows a supplier.

Not much help - sorry, but it's lack of availability may well colour your decision on whether this is a good option if you don't re-load.

FN

If Gregor don't have it to hand it could be very difficult to source. If you could find some you would need to squirrel away plenty of brass for it. It would be very effective cartridge

Thank you all I think its a bargain at 695 with a leupold 2.5 to 8 scope thrown in the rifle is a Tikka t3 stainless synthetic. Im loathe to part with my cash for something that is overpriced any opinions please.

Thank you all I think its a bargain at 695 with a leupold 2.5 to 8 scope thrown in the rifle is a Tikka t3 stainless synthetic. Im loathe to part with my cash for something that is overpriced any opinions please.
    I suggest you price the ammunition before you proceed. I'm guessing ~60 a box of 20 or ~500 for 200. Regards JCS

Seems a reasonable price if in good condition, ammunition or brass for it would be the sticky point.