what thread size is my Sako 85?

jamesbilling

hey guys,

looking for a mod for my .308 sako 85 laminate stainless varmint fluted barrel and haven't a clue about the thread size,

anyone got any ideas?

cheers for the help

My .223 laminate stainless varmint has a M18x1 thread, which I think comes as standard on the factory-threaded barrels. So if yours has a factory thread, I'd imagine it was likely to be that also.

The factory thread on the varmint is deffinately 18x1.
The website and handbook will also confirm this.

hey guys,

looking for a mod for my .308 sako 85 laminate stainless varmint fluted barrel and haven't a clue about the thread size,

anyone got any ideas?

cheers for the help
i have the possibly identical rifle if its the short barrel ! and mine is 18x1

my 85 is a 14x1 View attachment 49144 stainless synthetic this is the info off there site:

WEAPON SAKO 85​
OPERATION Sako 85 manually operated bolt action
BOLT 3 locking lugs, control round feed, mechanical ejection
BARREL Light hunting contour barrel (cold hammer forged) optional muzzle thread
(338 Fed, 8x57IS, 93x62, 93x66 with M15x1 other calibers M14x1 thread)

BARREL Heavy varmint contour barrel (cold hammer forged) optional muzzle thread 18x1 , NB : this INFO is't off there web site but guntrader.

Last edited:
Bit late seeing this thread guys,
but I have two Tikka T3s, A lightweight, factory threaded 14x1. And a Varmint, factory threaded 18x1.
When I spoke to Jackson Rifles to order a S/M, they put me right (bless them) when I asked at the time for the wrong thread size. As we are here, if a Sako Finnlight is required with factory thread it seems that if you want the fluted barrel then they do not supply it threaded?

Yep - the Sako Finnlight is supplied with a fluted barrel which Sako refuse to thread from the factory. At 2.9Kg the Synthetic Stainless is within a 100g of the same weight though and that comes threaded. I haven't thought about it when I have had them both to hand, but I wonder if the balance is further back on the Finnlight due to the fluted barrel.

All that aside, I know that people do have the Finnlight threaded successfully aftermarket though.

regards

Ian

As said the factory screw cut for the lite is 14/1, for varmint is 18/1
If your in sure if it was a factory cut or after market then you have a couple of easy ways to find out.
Measure the diameter and then go and buy a couple of nuts from a hardware store or take your thread protector to a hardware / DIY store and find a bolt that it will screw onto. The nut/bolt size is what your rifle is cut to
Wingy

Back