Thread: Blue Wildebeest

Thumbs up Blue Wildebeest

Following the adventure with the Cape Buffalo, we went off in search of a Blue Wildebeest.
    Following the PH & tracker through the bush I managed to see a great deal of bush and not a great deal of Wildebeest ins pite of them pointing out several beasts to me!
    Without a PH you would see absolutely nothing I can assure you!
    Eventually the PH knelt for me to lay the .375 H7H on his shoulder to take a shot.
    I moved the crosshairs on to the beast's shoulder jjust in time to see him take off at a gallop!
    These are really spooky animals but considering they arre the main item on thhe predator's menu I guess its not surprising!

A couple of days later we set off for a Wildebeest.
    This time I had my Steyr Mannlicher Prohunter .308 with RWs 170 grain soft points.
    As we headed out on the buckie, Patrick the outfitter was telling me how the Wildebeest was known as the poorr amn's buffalo annd how they tok a lot of stopping.
    He told me to reload as soon as I took the shot and put another round into him asap. Apparently they can runa a very long way when mortally wounded.

The PH spotted some animals and started to make a plan of attack ( I hadn't even seen the animals!)
    We'll climb up over that Kopje (Small hill) and come down on them from above. (I did see the hill!)

We climbed up over the hill through thorn bushes and over rocks until we reached the crest and started to mak our way down.
    Ahead were large thorn bushes which hid us from view.

"there'' a good bull by the tree take that one!"

(I still hadn't seen an animal!)

The PH put up the sticks and pointed to the tree.
    I looked through the sight and there he was staring up the hill at us. he knew that something was wrong but couldn't figure out what as the bush hid us from view.
    He was at an angle looking at me so I aimed forward of his shoulder to allow for the angle.
    i didn't hang about as I had seen how quick they flee!
    I squeezed the set trigger and away went the round. The bull fell dead in his tracks!
    i reloaded quickly but the beast didn't even twitch!

We waited enough time to make sure he was dead and made our way down through the thorn bushes.
    Gold medal head 27" spread & a smile from ear to ear!!!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0040.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	570.9 KB 
ID:	49048
    If a wolf can take down a deer from either flank, does that make him bambidextrous?

nice work and an enjoyable read.

only makes me want to get back over!

Yet again an excellent speciment and SCI Gold and RW Trophy. Just notice these bosses on this monster!!!

Probably the best shot seen in a long, long, long time...dropped in his tracks, not seeing it everday on a "poorman's buffalo'...

Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Web: http://www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099
    Mail: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by artschool View Post
    nice work and an enjoyable read.

only makes me want to get back over!

Chris,

always possible mate...
    Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Web: http://www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099
    Mail: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Nice read, but you have one comment not to put in when there are Scotsmen around. You went out on the Buckie. Has a completely different meaning up here. No wonder you could not see them

Another good write up and a cracking trophy, well done!
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

Quote Originally Posted by libensvolenspotens View Post
    Following the adventure with the Cape Buffalo, we went off in search of a Blue Wildebeest.
    Following the PH & tracker through the bush I managed to see a great deal of bush and not a great deal of Wildebeest ins pite of them pointing out several beasts to me!
    Without a PH you would see absolutely nothing I can assure you!
    Eventually the PH knelt for me to lay the .375 H7H on his shoulder to take a shot.
    I moved the crosshairs on to the beast's shoulder jjust in time to see him take off at a gallop!
    These are really spooky animals but considering they arre the main item on thhe predator's menu I guess its not surprising!

A couple of days later we set off for a Wildebeest.
    This time I had my Steyr Mannlicher Prohunter .308 with RWs 170 grain soft points.
    As we headed out on the buckie, Patrick the outfitter was telling me how the Wildebeest was known as the poorr amn's buffalo annd how they tok a lot of stopping.
    He told me to reload as soon as I took the shot and put another round into him asap. Apparently they can runa a very long way when mortally wounded.

The PH spotted some animals and started to make a plan of attack ( I hadn't even seen the animals!)
    We'll climb up over that Kopje (Small hill) and come down on them from above. (I did see the hill!)

We climbed up over the hill through thorn bushes and over rocks until we reached the crest and started to mak our way down.
    Ahead were large thorn bushes which hid us from view.

"there'' a good bull by the tree take that one!"

(I still hadn't seen an animal!)

The PH put up the sticks and pointed to the tree.
    I looked through the sight and there he was staring up the hill at us. he knew that something was wrong but couldn't figure out what as the bush hid us from view.
    He was at an angle looking at me so I aimed forward of his shoulder to allow for the angle.
    i didn't hang about as I had seen how quick they flee!
    I squeezed the set trigger and away went the round. The bull fell dead in his tracks!
    i reloaded quickly but the beast didn't even twitch!

We waited enough time to make sure he was dead and made our way down through the thorn bushes.
    Gold medal head 27" spread & a smile from ear to ear!!!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIMG0040.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	570.9 KB 
ID:	49048
    Well done mate, I will also be wanting to take a great bull that like when I am in SA in March/April next year!!! I can't wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123p View Post
    Nice read, but you have one comment not to put in when there are Scotsmen around. You went out on the Buckie. Has a completely different meaning up here. No wonder you could not see them
    I wonder how it is made in Devon and pretty much 100% of it is driven 400+ miles north of the border, but yet barely a drop gets drunk in England.

Probably something to do with the fact it is horrible stuff!!