Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems after smithing to cz

Problems after smithing to cz

I have recently had the barrel on my cz 550 243 shortened, retreaded and a new chamber cut,
    i,m now having trouble sighting it in, I've fitted a second hand s&b scope and can't get enough elevation, ran out of clicks.
    i've tried three different sets of mounts and it's the same (well the highest mount was about an inch low the lowest 3 inches)
    either the scopes faulty or the gunsmith has messed up

any ideas?

Thanks

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    This wouldn't be one of those rifles that is 'choked' and not supposed to be shortened would it?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

what mounts and scope did it have on before

You may find that the mounts are different heights, try swoping front to back or using another set

Try it with the original scope and see what happens or an old trick was to stick a bit of a coke can under the mount or scope. Gives you an extra few inches.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cornwall Deer View Post
    I have recently had the barrel on my cz 550 243 shortened, retreaded and a new chamber cut,
    i,m now having trouble sighting it in, I've fitted a second hand s&b scope and can't get enough elevation, ran out of clicks.
    i've tried three different sets of mounts and it's the same (well the highest mount was about an inch low the lowest 3 inches)
    either the scopes faulty or the gunsmith has messed up

any ideas?

Thanks
    I am guessing that you had a new crown cut !!
    Did the rifle shoot ok before the shortening work ??
    have you tried it with the mod removed ??
    Check that it has been put back in the stock with clearance around the barrel and that the action screws are tight

Sounds like a dodgy crown or thread !! I am sure that someone that knows more will be here soon .

I'm curious why a new chamber cut?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Just clear up a few questions
    I had a z6i and warne mounts on before, same mounts as I'm trying now.
    It wasn't grouping before I has the work done as the chamber was corroded, as was the crown.
    So decided to shorten the barrel at the same time. Cz's have recoil lugs so can't swap mounts around

Had a similar issue with a second hand Swarovski,sent it back twice but got it sorted in the end.
    Turned out the adjustment was moving the correct amount of MOA but the starting point was too low so never made it high enough to zero,try using a known good scope if you have one.
    The other way is to get a bore sighter and see if using another scope you can get the required elevation,saves on firing money down the range.
    Not having enough elevation and not grouping seem like different issues as it wouldn't group with your other scope but your not saying that at that time you had elevation issues?
    Last edited by dave 67; 12-11-2014 at 16:47.

So your saying the barrel has been set back ?
    If so it would point to the barrel no longer being true to the action.

Neil.