Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air travel with firearms

Air travel with firearms

Those of you that travel by air, does your bolt travel with your rifle? Where does the ammo go? What is mandatory and what is preferential?
    Deer Stalking. Training and Courses. Deer Stalking Certificate Level 1, Training and Witnessing for the Level 2 Assessment.
    www.deercentral.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Those of you that travel by air, does your bolt travel with your rifle? Where does the ammo go? What is mandatory and what is preferential?
    Usually firearm including bolt in locked ABS case.Ammo in locked container in hold luggage

You need to check how destination airport handle ammo. A lot don't want it in your checked bag as it's treated the same as your rifle and kept well away from the baggage carousel.

Stan

Travelled extensively with firearms in Europe and USA;

Rifle and bolt, unassembled but locked and secure in a solid case (Aluminium, ABS, plastic etc)

Ammunition separate in lockable box ammo not to weigh more than 5kg (I think)

Do not attempt to carry bolt on the plane in hand luggage.

Have FAC with you and Euro FAC (if applicable and visitors permit (if US)

Travelled with BA Guns OK but no ammo.
    Made arrangments to get ammo at the other end.

I have also travelled extensively with firearms.

I never keep the bolt with the rifle - I lock it in a locked cash box with the ammunition. If you keep it with the rifle you are failing to comply with the terms of your FAC - requiring the firearm to be disabled where possible when not in use.

Max ammunition is 60 rounds per weapon to a maximum of 5kg.

Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    I have also travelled extensively with firearms.

I never keep the bolt with the rifle - I lock it in a locked cash box with the ammunition. If you keep it with the rifle you are failing to comply with the terms of your FAC - requiring the firearm to be disabled where possible when not in use.

Max ammunition is 60 rounds per weapon to a maximum of 5kg.
    Where does it say your firearm has to be disabled when not in use it is certainly not a condition on my FAC I have never taken my bolt out when stored

I'm ready for tomorrow flight from Heathrow.
    Rifle and bolt in ABS secure case, ammo 42 rounds, in a metal cash box, with my pyjamas wrapped round it, in my hold luggage.
    The only time I had any trouble was when travelling with BA, when they singled me out from the other eleven already on board.
    They did not load my suitcase as I had something 'Suspicious' inside.
    I was called out and had to take it out of my hold luggage and then at least eight people from the different agencies argued about how it should be carried.
    Eventually a Jamaican bus driver, nothing to do with security, suggested that someone ask the pilot and he agreed as long as it was wrapped up and not rattling about.
    The driver took a polythene wrapper off of someones uniform that was hanging in the mini-bus, wrapped my ammo in that, stuck it round with some tape and felt tipped my name on the outside.
    So a football size ball of polythene with 'Eddy' wrote on the outside was taken away and when I got off the plane at Warsaw, the steward on the door handed it back to me, saying this is yours I believe.
    There were twelve of us in that party and all the rest packed exactly the same as I and they all got through with no trouble at all.
    Apart from that time never a bit of bother since and I travel four times each Winter, but not with BA packing my Rifle and ammo exactly the same way.

PS, rifle in case, bolt in case but not in rifle, it has it's own compartment.
    Last edited by EMcC; 12-11-2014 at 23:05.

The only thing I've found out is that every airline and airport seems to have different ideas and seem to make it up as they go along.On a trip to Croatia recently half our party had their hold luggage delivered to Customs with the guns when the other halfs came round the carousel
    Other times we've had the gun cases come on the carousel and just walked out with them without customs being bothered about them at all

Easyjet seem remarkably good at the firearms and ammunition thing. Now I know someone will have a horror story but there is someone who has had a horror story about every company.

David.