Thread: .280 Brass

.280 Brass

It's a long shot (no pun intended) but I'm after .280 brass Rem or AI, before I bite the bullet (Christ there I go again!) and buy some new.

regards Tristram

How much are you after?

Not sure how this would be done exactly, but just read somewhere that one can fire-form .280 brass from .270win?

Quote Originally Posted by urx View Post
    How much are you after?
    Pm sent

Thanks Palmer yes that's right you can, just have to bring necks back a bit but I'm going to get .280 hopefully AI if not I will fireform.

thanks Tristram

The distance between the 270's case-head and shoulder is around 40 thou shorter than that in the 280 Rem, so a simple necking-up exercise produces an excess headspace condition such that a round will likely not fire in many rifles, and if it does risks stretching the lower case-body walls just above the solid web weakening the case and producing early case separation.

The 280 was deliberately designed so in order to prevent the accidental chambering of this cartridge in a .270 Win rifle with the risks of a pressure overload through its 7 thou' fatter bullet being forced down an undersize bore.

To do a neck-up plus fireform properly, the fireforming round should either be loaded with the bullet such that it is jam-seated in the rifling lands to force the case-head back against the bolt-face, or the 'false shoulder method' used. That is the 270 case is initially necked up using a larger expander, 0.30 being the obvious choice then resized in a 280 Rem die leaving a step at the bottom of the case neck. The step position should be set so that the case is a slight crush fit in the 280 chamber and again ensures its first firing has the case-head held against the bolt-face.

I was once told that 270 brass when fire formed would end up to short in the neck 280 norma was what I used . Nosler make brass for the 280 Ai (expensive though) best of luck.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jockey View Post
    I was once told that 270 brass when fire formed would end up to short in the neck 280 norma was what I used . Nosler make brass for the 280 Ai (expensive though) best of luck.
    Steve
    Thanks Steve I'm waiting to hear back from someone but I think buying the Nosler .280 AI is the way to go.