Thread: Pulled cases

Pulled cases

Hi all.

When you pull factory ammo using a bullet puller can you just reload cases to your own spec with original primer left in, or is there anything to prep first? Noticed when seating a new bullet head it goes in with very little resistance.

Cheers all
    Rob

Just a reminder but there again may already know this but are the replacement bullets of the same weight or less, if not you may need to adjust the powder charge.
    I have found in the past when doing this that sometimes you may need to resize in order to get adequate neck tension. Alternatively you could simply use a Lee factory crimp die.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka84 View Post
    Hi all.

When you pull factory ammo using a bullet puller can you just reload cases to your own spec with original primer left in, or is there anything to prep first? Noticed when seating a new bullet head it goes in with very little resistance.

Cheers all
    Rob
    You can but if the neck tension isn't adequate you might want to resize them by first retracting the decapping rod until it no longer contacts (pushes out) primer.~Muir

You can't move the bullet out at all using your fingers but it doesn't press with the same tension as a re-sized case.

pressure is related to neck tension which affects velocity
    neck size and or crimp

be aware the factory primer will be difficult to replicated unless Remington ammo and you would be advised to work up to whatever charge you decide to go with.
    Are you using the factory powder in the same charge levels?
    Advisable to work up even if using the same bullet weight.

I got a job lot of factory ammo for a song
    I pulled 160 Remington 180gr CoreLokt 300wm rounds
    saved the powder after measuring a random section of them to come up with a powder range

I got rid of the brass and used normal load development to use the Remington Powder and Core Lokt bullets to produce a load in Norma brass.
    their load was Remington Magnum Primers in Rem brass and 69-69gr Rem Powder
    Mine is 69.6gr and CCI Magnum primers in Norma brass

works a charm and works out free!
    Last edited by bewsher500; 13-11-2014 at 20:28.

I'm pulling the factory heads off and discarding the powder. And reloading with my own powder (ramshot hunter) the only thing original from the factory round is the brass and primer.

Sounds fine
    what will you do after the first firing?
    it will be like changing primer brands and you may find a significant difference in load even if only the primer changes.

After the first firing I will be using my federal large rifle primers after resizing the cases. Only asking this because I had a s**t load of factory ammo which I found crap. So thought I'd pull it all and reload using my own powder charge spec and heads (75g vmax .243)

Should really have done 5 first then tried them but that bullet puller is great for relieving stress!!!! Ha ha. Done about 100 rounds in one sitting.