Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breach jamming

Exclamation Breach jamming

Hi all

I have gunsmith question if any one has some helpful advice. I Have a standard tikka t3 varmint .308. I have not really used it much last three years other than putting holes in paper/steel with some ex nato 7.62 ammo, brought a large amount about three years ago, no isses with it. Lately I thought I'd start using the .308 for hunting again. So gave it a check zero with my RWS 150 KS ammo which again I brought a large anmount about four years ago. Zero was spot on but decided to put a new scope on so probably did 15-20 rounds of which one jammed. Used it a few times since, no issues.

This morning every round I tried jammed with the RWS ammo, had to go home and get another rifle. It doesn't go in the last 3-4 mm and the bolt won't close. I've not dropped or knocked the rifle or bolt, no obvious signs of damage. It's well cleaned. The Ammo has been kept in the same place as nato ammo again well looked after. I should of tried the nato ammo to see if that still fitted. Last used the nato ammo a few weeks ago and did about 30 rounds with no issues.

Any ideas??

Cheers.

Check to see if the chamber is clean, failing that check the dimension of the RWS ammo,it's unlikely that the ammo has swollen. Was the RWS purpose built for another rifle?

Firstly it's breech.

Have you checked that the ejector plunger hasn't seized up? Can you depress the plunger with a screwdriver or similar?
    Have you checked and cleaned the bolt lug recess?

Regards

JCS

Many thanks for the replies. Everything is cleaned and checked and appears correctly functioning. It's standard factory ammo. Trip to gunsmith I think. Cheers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by purdeydog View Post
    Many thanks for the replies. Everything is cleaned and checked and appears correctly functioning. It's standard factory ammo. Trip to gunsmith I think. Cheers anyway.
    Do a search on here about tikka chambers being tight,I had fl resized brass that wouldn't chamber in my tikka until I nipped up the die even more than my previous rifles requirements and hey presto.Perhaps this brass is a fraction large for your chamber??
    dave

It's all the same batch of ammo but it is a new box of ammo, hopefully there's a fault with that batch. Gun shop is going to measure it all and take it from there. Cheers.

My CZ would jam as you described but I found it was the way I was loading the floor plate mag. It must of effected the way the ammo got pushed in to the chamber.

Are you using Tikka rings in the dovetail or new rings and a screw on base?~Muir

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Are you using Tikka rings in the dovetail or new rings and a screw on base?~Muir
    very good point Muir

seen this before the forward screw at the front mount stops the bolt from closing as its a tiny bit long.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Just where I was going with it. Seen numerous times. Last week resolved the same issue on another rifle, this time it was the stock-action screw too long straight into the lug recess.