Thread: Under gunned

Under gunned

Typical went out today to stalk some dense woodland, so took the 3030, come out of the woods only to see a 16 point red stag looking at me about 120 yds away, in the middle of a very wet bit of ground didn,t feel like a long follow up if it didn,t drop on the spot, or the drag through the bog another day tomorrow, must be getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Typical went out today to stalk some dense woodland, so took the 3030, come out of the woods only to see a 16 point red stag looking at me about 120 yds away, in the middle of a very wet bit of ground didn,t feel like a long follow up if it didn,t drop on the spot, or the drag through the bog another day tomorrow, must be getting old.
    Out of curiosity Taff,do you not think the 30-30 is upto the job of taking reds?
    Just had a visit from the police for my renewal and put in for 30-30 and asked for deer condition.
    dave

Fair play, he'll be there another day......
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Plonker, I have taken many reds and fallow with the 3030, but all at short distance, probably under 80yds, I tend to shoot it freehand, and only zero it at 100 yds.

You are probably getting wise too! Like others said, he might not get a pass next time.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Is .30-30 legal for reds in the UK?

IIRC here in Denmark the only factory .30-30 load that meets the legal specs is Hornady's 160gr FTX Leverevolution.

Shot a lot of Sika with a 30 30 and a red dot aimpoint, rounds were all reloads but animals were all under 80yds. A real little knock down tool.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.