shot at fallow[how long before they return]

allan450

pretty new to stalking just a quick question.how long before fallow return after been shot at.i missed one today dont know what happened.just wondering will they come back or is that it for awhile thanks Allan

I shot one on Monday went back to get my drag tray from the landy and there were another bunch stood there but it was too dark. Other times if they are new to the area and densities are low then that'll be it for a while. Get yourself a trailcam, seriously good investment for working out your deers habbits. Oh and check your zero before doing anything else, for practice if nothing else.

given the transient nature of fallow they could turn up at any time they tend to get pushed around by the pheasant shoots etc at this time of year putting the time in on the ground observing the movement of the deer will give u a better idea where and when you are likely to see them,I would also just for peace of mind check that zero good luck

Get back out and start glassing again,get a feel of what's happening on your ground,if your area is not heavily shot you will probably find that there again.had a buck on Tuesday morning and they were back out in the evening,good luck

I shot one on Monday went back to get my drag tray from the landy and there were another bunch stood there but it was too dark. Other times if they are new to the area and densities are low then that'll be it for a while. Get yourself a trailcam, seriously good investment for working out your deers habbits. Oh and check your zero before doing anything else, for practice if nothing else.
+1 Plus check the shot site with a trained dog.

I shot my first ever fallow doe a couple of weeks ago thanks to Steve. It was shot very late afternoon and after we had got it back to the truck and done the neccesaries we had a look across the field where we shot it with the thermal and there was a herd of at least 25. There were only 150 yds away!

So obviously in this case pretty quickly

D

Out yesterday with Chasey who at last light grassed a Fallow Doe from the seat, as we were extracting it he saw a number of Fallow close by just watching us, apparently unfazed by the demise of one of the herd.

Will be interesting to see, from the cameras, when they come back, the bucks were not about while we were there.

ATB WB

Hi Allan,

I never found an issue with fallow reappearing as long as you do not shoot the lead doe.

I shot two fallow in the one area at 3pm and 530pm last Saturday. The shot made no difference the other deer in the area In between shots I saw other deer in a
300m radius of where I shot the other two. Its also worth noting that I wasn't using a suppressor in fact the anti Christ of Suppressors a muzzle brake!

Good luck with your next hunt.

Regards,
Glendine.

Out yesterday with Chasey who at last light grassed a Fallow Doe from the seat, as we were extracting it he saw a number of Fallow close by just watching us, apparently unfazed by the demise of one of the herd.

Will be interesting to see, from the cameras, when they come back, the bucks were not about while we were there.

ATB WB

Just to add thank god for WB's spotting skills

Having taken the shot at one of three deer on the ride, I thaught my doe had shot off left into the trees and if alone I'd have started looking there.

WB said it had gone right and 10mins after starting the search we found it.

I realy dont know if id have looked to the right at all had I been alone but it was a valuble lesson and ill defo do such a serch from now on

The sudden movement of the others after the shot had confused me and the close range ment I wasn't seeing as much through the scope so when I caught a glimps of a deer jumping up and shooting left I just thaught it was my one.

That and the adrenalin pumping :D

2014-11-13165728_zps51f55f9b.jpg

ATB

Chasey

no the shot was def missed.checked zero all ok bar bipod was very lose.In the heat of the moment i didnt even relies.so must have been the problem.went back again today to move trail cam no deer on it but i had a good recee of the area.so hopefully il get a bit of joy.only stared deer stalking really this year.iv got a red spiker and a young doe.The heart rate fairly got going when i seen the 2 stags ha ha.

It easy to rely too much on trail cams,as i have read a good few times.They are no substitute for good fieldcraft ,observing not only the deer themselves,but also slot marks,droppings,scrapes,beds,browsing,fraying,scoring. all help build a picture of movements and activity.
Good areas to check out are deer paths crossing ditches or wet areas,it is simple to cross out the marks and check next time what fresh ones have appeared.This also lets you get an idea of species,age and sex of the deer working the area.
I can't comment on your area ,however in the areas I stalk the fallow does with kids seem to frequent the same areas whether disturbed by shooting or not. The bucks however are more mobile.

Back