Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You might like this.

Blog Entries

You might like this.

I think I am to the bottom of this now but I know some of you like a challenge.

Bloke shooting ball from a smoothbore musket on his Shotgun Certificate at a Home Office Approved Club.

Discuss.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Yes, musket probably classed as shotgun for the purpose of licensing (I looked into this a few years ago with regards to civil war reenactment). Not sure about the legality of firing ball though?

Might he have slug on ticket?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Blog Entries
    Slug is a cartridge for a weapon. Lead balls are not controlled in any way.

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    Slug is a cartridge for a weapon. Lead balls are not controlled in any way.
    That is exactly what I have been told before including by Iain Robertson the firearms guy from the NRA. I'll be honest and say that I haven't a clue how the law really looks at it but I wouldn't be at all surprised if my local force weren't in agreement with that view and would question it, and so would a few other firearms departments but that's hardly unexpected is it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Blog Entries
    Well a lead ball isn't controlled but firing it from a shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthDorset View Post
    Well a lead ball isn't controlled but firing it from a shotgun?
    It's got to be a bit of a grey area as far as I am concerned, I am not entirely convinced of either arguement. I think it could go either way if a police force decided to test it in court.

The OP gives a clue when he stated Home Office Approved Club.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    The OP gives a clue when he stated Home Office Approved Club.
    I'm still trying to follow your trail of thought there Norm as H.O. approval and club exemptions has certain limitations with regard to say shotguns and LBRs hence my uncertainty. I take it for granted that we all know that we are not talking about the suitability of the range but the legality issue of someone using ball in a musket. I must admit to being quite confused on this issue but if we take the view that anything that isn't specifically outlawed is permissable then I can't see any problem.
    Last edited by 8x57; 15-11-2014 at 17:11.

Blog Entries
    I think 8x57 has it really. Whilst the circumstances here are'nt likely to give the police cause for specific concern this is a grey area.

Our sport floats on a number of grey areas from LBP and LBR through black powder and lever release.

I wouldn't try this in a field but in a target shooting club there seems to be a certain amount of latitude from our governing force.

There is no specific act that makes this legal or illegal but it certainly flies in the face of the spirit of the acts covering slug and shotgun.

To date this is possibly the most awkward situation I have faced from a legal perspective.

Hope it made you scratch your heads as much as it did me.