Thread: red stag full skull mounting- how to fix skull to shield?

red stag full skull mounting- how to fix skull to shield?

I have two full skulls boiled out and prepped with antlers unaffected, the canines are glued back in etc. They look great.

So the question is will 1 no. 5mm dia. drywall spring loaded screw do the job of fixing each skull to the shield or should I try for another in a lower position too? The thing is I have drilled already a good hole in the base of the skull where it is thickest where there is solid resistance, this is okay for one good fixing, but the nose looks kind of delicate for another. Has anyone out there done this? Please advise.

I use one B&Q Spring Toggle M5x 80mm for medium and heavy weight use.I drill a hole just below the brain cavity and put the toggle through there.
    Been using these for years with none falling off.I have just done two very large Fallow and a big Red all good.Wf1

Quote Originally Posted by western woodsman View Post
    I have two full skulls boiled out and prepped with antlers unaffected, the canines are glued back in etc. They look great.

So the question is will 1 no. 5mm dia. drywall spring loaded screw do the job of fixing each skull to the shield or should I try for another in a lower position too? The thing is I have drilled already a good hole in the base of the skull where it is thickest where there is solid resistance, this is okay for one good fixing, but the nose looks kind of delicate for another. Has anyone out there done this? Please advise.
    From your description it sounds fine. If it feels solid it probably is. I do something very similar but just screw through from the shield into the skull with a self tapping wood screw. Never had one fall off.

I have got a couple of the spring toggle type fixings so will try that first. Thanks for the advice.