Sako 85 magazine fail???

Scarlet

The rifle has had approximately 80 rounds through it. I have never loaded more than 3 rounds into this gun/magazine at any one time since purchasing it new.
The magazine has never been stored loaded.
This problem has only come to light during a Hind cull at the start of this week and it seems that the second round in the mag (6.5x55) which sits to the right of the magazine is not being picked by the bolt head?
Apparently after speaking to the gun shop as well as GMK today they both have recommended that I send the gun and mag back to them for testing?
Feck that.
Any idea`s??
Please no newbies, pretender`s or tw*ts need reply to my request..

Thought I`d mention for the listed above. All rounds are hand loads and without primers or powder..

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v379/vim/fail_zpswu5wywno.mp4

Last edited:
I own the same rifle as you in the same caliber s/s. I have has a similar problem at times which seems to have been caused by the rounds being seated right at the back of the magazine. If the rounds are right at the back then occasionally the bolt will just slide over the top. I found if I seat each round slightly off the back of the mag then I have no problems.

Please no newbies, pretender`s or tw*ts need reply to my request..

No ****s! I'm out.

Check the angle of the feed lips is the same left and right, also both dides match front to back. Finnfires suffer problems feeding if these angles are wrong and it causes rounds to hit top or bottom of the barrel face. It will be slightly different for the C/F action but fundamentally the same problem.

Fairly common problem with double stack mag boxes. Should have got a single row mag rifle such as the T3.
At least with a Remmy or T3 one could find an aftermarket mag system. Good luck with Sako.

For now, either the mag catch needs adjusting so that the box sits higher and the cartridge is presented better or find someone who has experience in bending the mag lips so that the right cartridge is in a higher position without jumping out by itself.
edi

I'd guess that the right side lip on the magazine is bent in or down holding the cartridges low on that side.
It only needs a slight deformation to stop cartridge pickup on double stack mags.
Another thing to check is the cartridge outside diameter - neck sized cases after being shot in a slack chamber will be big on the outside diameter of the case possibly resulting in the same symptom.
Does the same happen with unfired brass?

Ian

Why would anyone want a rifle where you need to be particular about what position you place the rounds in??

Change it it for something reliable as there would be nothing worse than going for a fast reload for a second shot to have it fail to load.

only a newbie, pretender or t*at would want to have a rifle with this fault.

I have an 85 in 308. Always use a full magazine often leave it full in the bullet cabinet. It has had about 300 rounds through it and never failed once. If there is a problem send it back and get them to fix it. As gixer1 says you will at some time need a quick second shot and when you do you will not want the mag to fail.
Stop messing about and get it fixed by the company.

sorry if I fall into any of the banned categories.

BE

I have an 85 in 308. Always use a full magazine often leave it full in the bullet cabinet. It has had about 300 rounds through it and never failed once. If there is a problem send it back and get them to fix it. As gixer1 says you will at some time need a quick second shot and when you do you will not want the mag to fail.
Stop messing about and get it fixed by the company.

sorry if I fall into any of the banned categories.

BE

I would first try taking the rifle back to the Gunshop you bought it from and get them to try a magazine from a new rifle (if available) , then cycle the rounds though it to see if it's a magazine related problem. If this is not possible then as stated send the rifle back to GMK from the dealer you bought it from, though I would phone them first to get an idea of the turn around time. Its very probably the magazine at fault. I would guess that the lips of the magazine are bent into a position that is allowing the front of the round to tip up and sit at a steeper angle..... See below for an explanation.

I had a tikka t3 with a similar problem, though the magazine on a t3 is plastic, The problem was the front of the lips had worn, this meant that under spring pressure of the follower the front of the round would sit at a steeper angle, the rear of the round would correspondingly dip down just enough to allow the bolt head to ride over it. I got around this problem with a quick fix by disassembling the magazine and reversing the direction of the follower spring, this meant that the spring pressure was now on the back of the follower instead of the front, this had the effect of pushing the back of the round up enough to be collected by the bolthead . The magazine was 100% reliable again, although I bought a new magazine just to be sure of total reliability.

I have two 85s. One in .223 which is the XS action, so not that relevant, but the other is in 30-06 which is an 'L' action, the same size as your 6.5x55. They both load faultlessly - no matter how many I load into the magazine or how sloppy I am putting them in.

You could narrow the problem down by trying your mag in another gun and a new/known good magazine in your rifle. Any Sako dealer will have the magazines and other rifles in stock. (Or should have!) If the only option is to get it to GMK for testing, then I would do it. You don't need to put up with a fault given your choice of rifle.

Does it do it with different ammunition types? Factory or re-loaded?

regards

Ian

Last edited:
MMM NOT a good '' IDEA '' When asking for advice , Are we all not,, at times , all guilty of acting '' The -WAT :rolleyes:

While it is not nice being with out a rifle at this time of year I would arrange for it to go back and get properly sorted.A rifle of that calibre (Quality) needs a quality gun smith to look at it No messors ****s or pretenders would be looking at my rilfe.
Or you could always take the angle grinder to the lip that is bent.:D

drop the W spring out and give it a wee stretch , a small screw flat driver and some tlc the base comes off ,not a Messing you or am a t*****R just another sako 85 and 75 owner lol who do's this quite often to his mags.

Or you could always take the angle grinder to the lip that is bent.:D[/QUOTE]

Lmao.. I`d forgot all about that incident with the angle grinder. Wonder if that rifle is still in circulation :eek:?
Right some usefull comments written and one of those I have just tried to no affect.
I loaded five new unfired Lapua brass with 120g head`s ( no primers ) and the first round only cycles.
I reload all my ammo myself with Lapua brass so the size of expanded brass can be excluded as the cause of the problem.
The mag has never been dropped, sat on or bent in any way.
What appears to be the problem is the rounds sitting in the magazine and not touching the lips of the magazine on both sides close to the rim on the case (or rear of the brass).
Only by a fraction though.
Anyway the magazine is being returned to a Sako dealer in the morning so I`ll know more tomorrow.
If they fail to repair or renew then I`ll have a good enough reason to go for a R8 :D
Mind don't they suffer from cycling home loads,lol.

Last edited:
I had this with my 75 after I dropped it, just needed to tweek the lips. You may not think you have done anything to the mag but it does not take much to bend the lips.

........and just because you might be a newbie on this site doesn't mean you're not the world's foremost expert on Tikka magazines. But I'm not, so I must be either a pretender or a tw*t. So I'll go schtum now.

Don't bend, file, or otherwise tamper with anything! I had the same problem with mine in that it wouldn't load the 4th round from new (25-06). I sent the magazine back and got a new one by return of post which works fine. I assume that the gun shop tried my magazine in one of their rifles and proved that it was the magazine. There was nothing visibibly wrong with it that I could see and it hadn't been dropped or damaged in any way.
Hope that helps.
Baguio

Last edited:
Back