Howa 1500 .308

Afro hunter

Hi all just got a howa .308 with a wooden stock and floor plate magazine, my question is,is it better to leave it that way or replace the stock with a synthetic and drop magazine. The other thing does anyone out there reload ammo for a .308 which could run perfect in my rifle the Gentleman I've bought the rifle from says it's groups well with PPU 150 grain bullets. I well be using the rifle for stalking big deer.

I have a wood stocked 1500 in .308. It had the drop magazine when I bought it but I have since converted it back to floorplate (following a couple of dropping the mag unexpectedly incidents). The magazine conversions are crap to be honest (in my opinion) as the catch hangs out and is just waiting to be caught by clothing etc....

my rifle shoots very well with federal powershock 150gn. Or hornady interlocks over imr 4064.

I have a sporter Howa in 308 the stock is fine for stalking purposes. And I'm more than happy with the floor plate I Have an ATI 10 round mag conversion which is now gathering dust. I don't see the need for the big Magazine.

I'd leave it as is . They're a nice rifle , sometimes the triggers can use a little work , but still a good ,solid hunting rifle .How's the trigger on yours ?

AB

I too have a 1500 in 308, floor plate works just fine for me. Not bothered with a mag conversion as they seem to get somewhat marmite reviews.

I have a wood stocked 1500 in .308. It had the drop magazine when I bought it but I have since converted it back to floorplate (following a couple of dropping the mag unexpectedly incidents). The magazine conversions are crap to be honest (in my opinion) as the catch hangs out and is just waiting to be caught by clothing etc....

my rifle shoots very well with federal powershock 150gn. Or hornady interlocks over imr 4064.

+1 to all of that, especially that. My favorite hunting load. My friends grand daughter just dropped her first big whitetail buck with this load. One shot and it collapsed. At this from a Howa, as a matter of fact!~Muir

Hi Alberta boy
the trigger is crisp and no creep at all, but I had to readjust the pull because I found it was too light, in do course as I get acquainted with the rifle I'll lighten it (am a heavy handed chap). I think I'll take your advice and not change the mag at all. My only apprehension is the woodwork is a thing of beauty and would it like to see scratches, any way hey ho if it scratches it scratches

Hi Alberta boy
the trigger is crisp and no creep at all, but I had to readjust the pull because I found it was too light, in do course as I get acquainted with the rifle I'll lighten it (am a heavy handed chap). I think I'll take your advice and not change the mag at all. My only apprehension is the woodwork is a thing of beauty and would it like to see scratches, any way hey ho if it scratches it scratches

I do know how you feel , but as the years go by , a couple of dings and scratches just add character . The Howa is a really good , and under-rated rifle , it will do what you ask of it and probably still be capable long past most of us lol .

AB

Back