Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting with mentor with my rifle, he has open cert, I don't.

Shooting with mentor with my rifle, he has open cert, I don't.

I've got the restriction on my cert relating to "over ground approved by the chief constable, etc"

I'm just about to collect my first 308. My own permission is approved for 308, so not a problem. However, if I want to use this rifle under the watchful eye of my mentor on his permission, do i need to get the ground approved?

He's been shooting the land for about 25 years with 308. Is it enough that I'm with him?
    Last edited by Scrooloose; 15-11-2014 at 12:20.

If you use your rifle on his permission even under his supervision then you will still need the land approved as it is the condition on your certificate. You will also need written permission from the holder of the shooting rights (technically).

If you use his rifle and you're under supervision from your friend who owns said rifle and has an open FAC and permission to shoot over the ground then no, the land does not need to be approved.

IMHO.

J
    Last edited by Biathlonjimmy; 15-11-2014 at 12:34. Reason: rephrased answer

Actually i had this same scenario when i used to take out a guy i was mentoring, even though i had an open certificate, and had shot over the land for years, my local FLO stated i would need the land cleared to take him on my permission, which as it turned out didn't matter is it had previously been cleared.
    But no 2 police forces are the same.
    Cheers
    Richard

you have to shoot your rifle under the conditions on your certificate

Thanks chaps. I suspected that might be the case.

It's more simple than that.

The land needs to be cleared for the calibre - most land already is checked, although .308 might be more than some people have asked for.

You need permission, but that doesn't have to be written.

In the mean time whilst waiting for land to be cleared or checking with the police you can shoot your mentor's rifle anywhere they have permission under their supervision.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

The conditions that apply are those on the certificate that the rifle is held on. So as above, if the rifle is on your ticket, it doesn't matter a jot who you're shooting with. If your cert says "land approved by" then the land has to be approved.

The only way you could shoot your rifle on your mentors land, under the conditions of his certificate, would be to get your rifle put on his FAC as well as yours (yes, it's possible if you can show good reason. Whether "mentoring" would be seen as good reason.....)

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    The conditions that apply are those on the certificate that the rifle is held on. So as above, if the rifle is on your ticket, it doesn't matter a jot who you're shooting with. If your cert says "land approved by" then the land has to be approved.

The only way you could shoot your rifle on your mentors land, under the conditions of his certificate, would be to get your rifle put on his FAC as well as yours (yes, it's possible if you can show good reason. Whether "mentoring" would be seen as good reason.....)

If this was accurate and not open to interpretation no-one would ever be allowed to go on bought, accompanied stalks.

Are you saying he can only shoot on land that has been approved "for him"?

Land is either checked/approved or it is not surely?

more importantly does your mentor have authority to allow you to shoot on "his" land?

To the OP - its very simple - you can only shoot your rifle on land that has been approved for that calibre rifle. If you want to use it on your mentor's or anybody elses land you need to check that it has been approved by the police. Given that your mentor has a similar claibre of rifle to yours and doubtless he will have named this land on his application it has probably been approved, but it is up to you to check that it has. A call to you FEO is in order to verify this and whilst you are about it enquire about opening up your ticket. Just the very fact that you are doing things by the book should bode well.

I would not be risking my ticket on what somebody on the SD says, nor necessarily your mentor. It is up to you as the holder of the rifle to check and be satisfied that you are meeting the conditions of your ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    If this was accurate and not open to interpretation no-one would ever be allowed to go on bought, accompanied stalks.

Are you saying he can only shoot on land that has been approved "for him"?

Land is either checked/approved or it is not surely?

more importantly does your mentor have authority to allow you to shoot on "his" land?
    I think you've misinterpreted what I said. Probably wasn't very clear. No, the land does not have to be approved for the person, just he has to show that it has been approved for the calibre of rifle he wishes to use, if that is the condition that is on his certificate. I apologise if it came across otherwise.