Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: SHR 970/ Muzzle Brake Question

  1. #1

    SHR 970/ Muzzle Brake Question

    Dumb question, but I'm interested in one of these - and it has a muzzle brake.
    Are muzzle brakes threaded on - ie can you unscrew and replace with a mod, presuming thread is same?
    JS
    I never make the same mistake twice.

    I make it five or six times.

    Just to be sure.


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lancs / Cumbria Border
    Posts
    1,805
    Usually screwed on so, yes.

  3. #3
    buy it buy it buy it! I have one in 6.5x55 and LOVE it. Seriously quality bit of kit.

  4. #4
    Buy it. Then get another magazine for about $25.00 USD and a .270 barrel for $200.

    I have a .308 and a .280, and friends have .30-06, .270 Win and 7mm Rem Mag. All shoot like crazy, with any decent ammunition.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Buy it. Then get another magazine for about $25.00 USD and a .270 barrel for $200.I have a .308 and a .280, and friends have .30-06, .270 Win and 7mm Rem Mag. All shoot like crazy, with any decent ammunition.
    Good idea but it's Sooo bloody hard to get stuff for them!I want spare mags and barrels, can't find them, so I'm making the barrels myself!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JockStalk View Post
    Dumb question, but I'm interested in one of these - and it has a muzzle brake. Are muzzle brakes threaded on - ie can you unscrew and replace with a mod, presuming thread is same? JS
    Which model is this because as I recall the brake is Integral (part of it) to the barrel and counter bored to the muzzle and crown.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Good idea but it's Sooo bloody hard to get stuff for them!I want spare mags and barrels, can't find them, so I'm making the barrels myself!
    Can you receive magazines and barrels from the USA? There are still magazines, a few barrels and synthetic stocks floating around here, although importation of the rifles ended about six years ago. The price in Euros is about 1350 now. The rifles sold for $450 in the US and Canada, and importation continued in Canada, and may still.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Can you receive magazines and barrels from the USA? There are still magazines, a few barrels and synthetic stocks floating around here, although importation of the rifles ended about six years ago. The price in Euros is about 1350 now. The rifles sold for $450 in the US and Canada, and importation continued in Canada, and may still.
    It's still firearms components and then there's the export paperwork to deal with, it can be hassle. I've just got a reamer order that's taken 11 weeks.It's a real shame they stopped making the SHR , I had a 6.5x55 in early 2000 and it was so damn accurate. I recently picked a .270 and have acquired a .308 which needs work doing on the action.I want a 6.5 (.260) for lighter work, no barrels to be found so I thought hell, I'll make the adapter and join it to the barrel.

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lancs / Cumbria Border
    Posts
    1,805
    noticed your considering a purchase of this model,,,

    They are no longer in production, there was a very short production run (4 years), which would raise alarm bells for me.

    I recall the first batch imported had dodgy triggers that Alan Wey had to put right before sale.

    While it may be an accurate rifle - from other posts here, id be cautious in the event that spares are required you may end up with a worthless object..

  10. #10
    Never herd a bad thing about them till the comment above i have 25 06 and 30 06 barrel and will never get rid of it hands down best rifle i have ever had and ive got blasers and sakos and i still comes out on top

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* swiss arms shr 970 alpine
    By whinfell in forum Firearms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-07-2014, 08:17
  2. Wanted SHR 970 in .308
    By Paul 600 in forum Firearms
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20-04-2013, 21:32
  3. For Sale SHR 970 magazine
    By snoozlecracker in forum Firearms Components
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-08-2011, 21:47
  4. For Sale SHR 970 Magazine
    By 308boy in forum Firearms
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 13:06
  5. Wanted SHR 970 barrels/bolts/mags
    By snoozlecracker in forum Firearms
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 09:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •