Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rcbs dies

rcbs dies

can anyone tell me if rcbs dies are oversize compared to say lee. im only asking as I have just had to run best part of 30 through a lee full length sizing die because I could not get the bolt to close on them .I adjusted my rcbs die down until It touched the shell holder . whats your thoughts guys .

Are you using an RCBS or Lee shellholder? Lee are different to most other makes and this can affect the case length.

its not the length its the diameter I have all ways used a lee fl die with no problems after putting all the cases through the lee fl die you can see the area that must be tight its about 12-15 mm up from the web. ( no joke when you do all the work and find they do not fit the chamber )

Quote Originally Posted by M275 View Post
    Are you using an RCBS or Lee shellholder? Lee are different to most other makes and this can affect the case length.
    Can you tell us what the difference is please?

Quote Originally Posted by ndt man View Post
    its not the length its the diameter I have all ways used a lee fl die with no problems after putting all the cases through the lee fl die you can see the area that must be tight its about 12-15 mm up from the web. ( no joke when you do all the work and find they do not fit the chamber )
    It could still be using the wrong shell holder. I know because I have been there and done it, but I had to re-do 100 . What press are you using ?
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

I read you set the die down on the shell holder, ... did you omit the next stage?, drop the ram & screw die in a further 1:4 / 18th, of a turn, then raise the ram to feel a "Cam over " effect?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I did contact spud and he told me the lee shell holder no 2 is the same as the one for my single stage press. which I use only to FL size cases i had a good look today and its the norma cases that are the worst for size the RP brass is the best for size using the rcbs die . I don't want to have to chamber all the sized cases to find out what fits and what don't fit.

Did you get the cases as once fired,or are they fire formed to your rifle?If once fired them run 1 thu the FL die,if it will not chamber,then wind the die in a little at time until it do's.If it's already been fired in your rifle,then it only needs neck sizing,but it should be no problom to FL size.Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I read you set the die down on the shell holder, ... did you omit the next stage?, drop the ram & screw die in a further 1:4 / 18th, of a turn, then raise the ram to feel a "Cam over " effect?
    As finnbear270 says above.....It could be how you have set the die.
    If you can tell us the make and model of the press, we may (hopefully) be able to help resolve it.
    Also the shell holder needs checking carefully to establish exactly what it is.
    I once ruined a die by putting in a shell holder, which was marked #3, thinking it was RCBS#3 but it wasn't and I tore the head off the case and jammed the die. Sounds daft but I managed it, such errors are easily made and costly too. Good luck.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

sorry guys forgot to say the press is a redding 7-1 single stage press . also the shell holder is a lee no 2 which spud tells me is the same as a redding one .