Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little niggly word usages?

Little niggly word usages?

I notice of late lots of people using the word "Heads" , then others pulling them up with the correct term "Bullet", I would like to add my little gripe...........It's " Reticle", not reticule.............. now where did I put that tin hat?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I thought both reticle and reticule were technically acceptable

Agree with 'heads' and another one I don't like for some reason is 'shotty' aka shotgun... not sure why, it just makes my teeth itch!

Alex

I'm with Alex on "shotty"....best kept for eastend gangster films..
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

"Shotty" used by the same people that drive landys.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    I thought both reticle and reticule were technically acceptable
    Looks like Finnbear is right, at least according to the Oxford English Dictionary. A 'Reticule' is a ladies drawstring purse!

Deleted from my vocabulary!

The use of 'head' for 'bullet' surely results from a lamentable misunderstanding of technical names for parts of a round. It should therefore be cureable by gentle eductaion in all but the most wilful!

'shotty' and 'rimmy' are snappy diminutives which I think give an unfortunate impression of a lack of gravitas on the part of the user. They should not be used on a grown-up forum.

I think that 'reticule' unfortunately means the same as 'reticle'. I much prefer the latter to describe the crosshair of a telescope sight, as the former seems to suggest a smutty double entendre in a restoration comedy. Perhaps that's just my naughty mind, though.

Just googling around a bit it seems all the main scope manufacturers use 'recticle'. I guess 'reticule' could be a corruption of reticle and graticule that has become accepted through use?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Perhaps that's just my naughty mind, though.
    It is!

Well I just took a look and this is what I found:-

Noun1.graticule - a network of fine lines, dots, cross hairs, or wires in the focal plane of the eyepiece of an optical instrument reticle, reticule
    cross hair, cross wire - either of two fine mutually perpendicular lines that cross in the focus plane of an optical instrument and are use for sighting or calibration; "he had the target in his cross hairs"
    Now I use Reticle for scopes and Graticule for more complex designs such as that found in the Wickman Optical grinder I had to use at times. The Graticule on that was graduated in 0.005" lines but with the magnification of 50x if I recall correctly it was easy to cut to 0.0005" (half a thou). With care even more precision could be obtained.

Oh and a cartridge case is about the only thing I can think of that has the head and mouth at opposite ends and the word "head" meaning bullet is a pure Americanism and a horrible one at that .................... Sorry Muir .

How about "Muzzle break" when people really mean "Muzzle brake", I really switch off when I see stuff like this on websites of "Gunsmiths " & the like.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!