Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 any recommends on which cartridge

6.5x55 any recommends on which cartridge

Hi all.
    Having stalked roe, red and sika for 25 years with a 243. Using Federal premium 100gr soft points.
    But in recent years have used Hornady Superformance 95gr SST. Distances usually under 150yds, occasionally up to 250yds.

A few weeks ago a friend offered me a as new Sako 75 deluxe 6.5x55 at price that I just could not refuse.

Could any of the forum's 6.5x55 users please recommend a suitable cartridge to use for mainly roe with occasional red hinds and sika at the distances mentioned.

Also looking for quality 6x42 scope any recommendations.

Regards
    Telecaster
    Last edited by telecaster; 15-11-2014 at 23:45.

I have been using sierra 120 gn gamekings in my 260. Very dependable and accurate.
    The Sako will he a great rifle.
    The other projectile I use is the 95gn vmaxs. Very accurate, I mainly loaded them for varmints but was surprised how well I dropped a reasonable sow pig with one. Might be a good option on the Roe.
    But number 1 choice for flexibility would be 120gners.

I use Lapua Mega in my 6.5x55. It's a very popular cartridge over here: http://www.lapua.com/en/products/hunting/15/18

I guess you do not load your own, hence the question 'which cartridge'.
    My 6.5x55 experience was with a Finnlight 75, with a barrel a shade over 20". I found that the manufacturer's velocity figures were generous compare to my chrono'd results, mainly because of the length of the test barrels used - in the case of RWS, a magnificent 29".

The cartridge I settled on was Norma's 120gr plastic-pointed load, which gave 2650fps from my rifle. Worked fine on the hinds, but the drop at longer ranges was not inconsiderable. Your rifle, if it has more barrel, will probably do better.

As far as good 6x42 goes, I have S&B 6x42s on a .270, .308 and two airguns; and Kahles on a .22LR. However, I'm sure Zeiss and Swaro would be worth considering also - as would Meopta and Leupold if pockets are less-deep. It's an excellent (IMO) if unfashionable choice - so s/h should by no means be overlooked!

I've been using PPU's in 139 & 156 grain with good results over the last couple of years.
    Cheers Pete

Federal powershock 140gr if you can get them or fusion 140gr worked the best in my sako 85

I use 140g Federal Powershocks through my Sauer 101 in 6.5x55. They certainly do the job very well, but in my limited experience it stops em better with a wee bit of distance between you and the deer! I had one last week at around the 200 yard mark and it flattened it on the spot. On the same day I had one at around 30yards and it ran 80-90yards into thick cover! Both shot placements were almost identical on inspection, both through the engine room taking out heart/lung. Definitely a reoccurring theme here since using the 6.5 with 140g for me, it's happened on a few occasions now!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

[QUOTE=jackfish;875751]I use 140g Federal Powershocks through my Sauer 101 in 6.5x55. They certainly do the job very well, but in my limited experience it stops em better with a wee bit of distance between you and the deer! I had one last week at around the 200 yard mark and it flattened it on the spot. On the same day I had one at around 30yards and it ran 80-90yards into thick cover! Both shot placements were almost identical on inspection, both through the engine room taking out heart/lung. Definitely a reoccurring theme here since using the 6.5 with 140g for me, it's happened on a few occasions

why do you think that is? Is it over penetration at short range with no expansion? I only ask as I've recently got a 6.5 x 55 and just playing around with different loads/bullets and seeing how it performs. Have tried a few 120s but not the 140s yet.

I only use Hornady 140gr SSTs, but they are loaded for me in Norma brass. Hornady load a factory version in the Superformance range
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

[QUOTE=Boarboy;875763]
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
    I use 140g Federal Powershocks through my Sauer 101 in 6.5x55. They certainly do the job very well, but in my limited experience it stops em better with a wee bit of distance between you and the deer! I had one last week at around the 200 yard mark and it flattened it on the spot. On the same day I had one at around 30yards and it ran 80-90yards into thick cover! Both shot placements were almost identical on inspection, both through the engine room taking out heart/lung. Definitely a reoccurring theme here since using the 6.5 with 140g for me, it's happened on a few occasions

why do you think that is? Is it over penetration at short range with no expansion?
    I think that may be the very reason.

On another occasion this year I shot a Buck from the high seat at maybe around 20+yards, there was no shot reaction at all he just ran, now I had a good view of this and for a second or two I actually thought I'd missed him until I seen the blood pumping out from the exit wound. He stopped 30 yards or so further on and stood still, then keeled over, part of his lung had plugged the exit wound. Same week shot another Buck paced out at 187 yards and flattened him on the spot with the bullet going straight through again but with considerably more damage to the heart lung area, most off my shots are taken in the engine room area and it seems to me the closer I am the bigger chance I have of getting a runner.

ATB

Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under