Thread: Zeiss Range finding binoculars

Zeiss Range finding binoculars

Hi Guys, I have a very nice pair of Zeiss victory 8x56B T*P* Binoculars and also a Zeiss victory PRF rangefinder, both of which are excellent in my opinion. However I am toying with the idea of selling both to fund a pair of Zeiss victory 8x45 T* rangefinding binoculars, for the convenience of carrying one unit.

I would be interested to hear any opinions about the Zeiss 8x45T* rangefinding binos, I would probably go for this model in the Zeiss range as it is a bit smaller and about 6oz lighter than the 8x56T*model. Though even the 8x45 at 36oz is no light weight!

Many thanks.

I own a pair of 8x56T* and they are not that heavy, when you use the proper harness. I would not hesitate recommending them to you.

I have used Zeiss Victory 10x45 T* RF binoculars for 5+ years and I find x45 perfectly acceptable. The binoculars are all right except -

1. They are the second pair! Zeiss replaced the first pair when both sides let in water, in huge quantities. They told me they would re-gas them, but eventually sent a new pair. That took time - time without binoculars.
    2. I find that the thin red numbers do not show up very well unless the background is just right - essentially, dark enough. I've tried other makes which have seemed noticeably better.
    3. I find that the rangefinder button is not easy to feel and press, especially with cold hands in gloves.

When buying again I would want to see various makes and look through them to see how clearly the information is displayed and see how the buttons are laid out. Maybe I would settle for Zeiss again, but I'm not too sure.

However, I do have my own problems with Zeiss! The binoculars failed, the Zeiss riflescope went back to Germany for repair a few weeks after I bought it and a Zeiss Victory Compact Point reflect sight which I nearly bought had an electrical fault so it could not be used. I bought a Bauer red dot sight from Alan Rhone instead. Three out of three faulty items, yet Zeiss is renowned for its reliability. That said, the binoculars and riflescope do work well in all other ways and the optics are outstanding.
    Last edited by Somerset; 16-11-2014 at 23:59.

I was assuming that the rangefinding part of the binoculars were essentially the same as my Zeiss victory PRF Rangefinder, which I find to date has been very good and readable to my eyes in all light conditions I've used them in so far. It maybe that the dedicated rangefinder is brighter. I did try a pair of Bushnell fusion RF binoculars but the red led readout (at maximum brightness setting) seemed very weak by comparison to my rangefinder.

I totally agree with Somerset though, it would be nice to do a side by side comparison with other makes such as Swarovski and Leica before buying but that's not too easily done.

I have noticed that the warranty on the Zeiss Rangefinding binoculars is only two years on the built in rangefinder part of the Binocular which is pretty scandalous considering what they cost and also what our American friends get, which is a transferable limited lifetime warranty on exactly the same product ??? They probably pay a lot less for them also.

I appreciate the honesty in the answers so far guys and I would very much appreciate any further comments, good or bad.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 17-11-2014 at 01:23.

I've got Zeiss RF binos and they have been faultless for 3+ years.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Mine have been back to zeiss twice for faults.
    Similar to the poster above mine filled with water! I was less then impressed with zeiss customer service.
    I have tried the new Leica ones and they have much better low light ability then the zeiss.
    When funds allow I will change mine

Quote Originally Posted by paultap View Post
    I was assuming that the rangefinding part of the binoculars were essentially the same as my Zeiss victory PRF Rangefinder, which I find to date has been very good and readable to my eyes in all light conditions I've used them in so far. It maybe that the dedicated rangefinder is brighter. I did try a pair of Bushnell fusion RF binoculars but the red led readout (at maximum brightness setting) seemed very weak by comparison to my rangefinder.

I totally agree with Somerset though, it would be nice to do a side by side comparison with other makes such as Swarovski and Leica before buying but that's not too easily done.

I have noticed that the warranty on the Zeiss Rangefinding binoculars is only two years on the built in rangefinder part of the Binocular which is pretty scandalous considering what they cost and also what our American friends get, which is a transferable limited lifetime warranty on exactly the same product ??? They probably pay a lot less for them also.

I appreciate the honesty in the answers so far guys and I would very much appreciate any further comments, good or bad.

Many thanks.

Please can I clarify?

The PRF is 2 years on both the range finder and optics. The range finder on the binoculars is 5 years. 10 years internal optics and mechanics.

As for brightness in the RF's. The interpupilliary distance must be accurate. In bright light squeeze the binocular closer together in order to align your pupil with the ranging reading. This should assist.

Thanks for the info Mak, I stand corrected on the warranty information on the RF binoculars, though I did get this information only recently from a Zeiss Dealer. I am however certain that they get a limited transferable lifetime warranty in The US though. I am now beginning to wonder if water ingress is a potential problem with the RF Binoculars as two separate members have mentioned this problem.

many thanks.
    Last edited by paultap; 21-11-2014 at 18:26.

I've had experience with leica, zeiss and \i own a pair of Swarovski EL range's. Out of the three I would choose the new Leica geovids. The optical quality is much the same but the ergonomics are best on the leicas I think. The lumps on the underside of the swarovskis are a pain and the zeiss are just bullky

Ive had Zeiss RF bins, good but bulky and Zeiss UK customer service is substandard.
    Have used a pair of Swarovski EL Range. Excellent glass but only able to range find down to 30m.
    Bought a pair of Leica Geovid HD-B in 8x and could not get on with them, tried everything but could not get them to perform as I felt they should. A mate lent me his Geovid HD-Bs in 10x.... What a difference, literally gob smacked. Don't know why but the 10x just seem a whole lot better, clearer, sharper. I chopped in my 8x for a pair of 10x and would rate these as the best of the RF bins. The ballistic software is clever, load up you personal ballistic data onto a Mini SD and off you go.

I know I am not the only SD member who has had issue with the 8x HD-Bs and has chopped them in for the 10x

Regards

Ed