Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sambar Handled Steak Knives...

Sambar Handled Steak Knives...

Does it still count as butchery once the meat is cooked?

I have been making a few steak knives of late but they have been of the solid stainless steel variety, I fancied a dabble at something a little more traditional, a little more like we used to make, a stag handled steak knife couldn't be more so really...

I didn't want to stray too much from the profile of the sold steel version as it feels great in hand and in my opinion looks pretty good too...

So here's the project starting out...

And as of over the weekend when I finished them off...

Next job now is to get a wooden case made to house them, I have one in the 'shop that belongs to a solid steel set and trying them in there I reckon the same style might suit, with wider slots of course to hold the fatter grips of the Sambar...

I'll get another photo when they are all sorted...

Cheers, Stu.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Those are stunning - a real heirloom
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Nice work.
    The steak knife sets I've seen in shops all have serrated blades which tend to rip the meat.
    Normal straight edge blades are a much better tool.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

They look amazing.
    Any idea on price ?

+1 on the above.
    Got a wedding present to buy.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Thanks fellas, much appreciated...

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    Nice work.
    The steak knife sets I've seen in shops all have serrated blades which tend to rip the meat.
    Normal straight edge blades are a much better tool.
    Agreed, if you need a serrated edge to get through your steak you need either a better butcher or a better, knife, or both

Quote Originally Posted by nick100 View Post
    They look amazing.
    Any idea on price ?
    Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    +1 on the above.
    Got a wedding present to buy.
    I do have an idea of price and I'll be quite honest about it, they are a lot of money, BUT, what you are looking at are six hand made knives and potentially a custom made wooden box to put them in...

The knives individually for instance, hand made, tapering tangs, Sambar stag, a knife of that ilk commissioned individually would be in the region of 225+, you do the math, that set will sell but very seldom, they will sell though now and again...

The only way you'll sell it though is with good quality photos of a set, that is why I made this one, to get it photo'd...

That is my reasoning and I don't want to turn this into a sales thread so I'll drop you both a PM...

I don't have a photo at hand but years back I had an urge for a "set" of steak knives appropriate for a hunter. Initially I thought of something like this (but I don't grind blades well) and then thought perhaps buying a set of traditional German hunting knives (Nicker). After thinking that over a bit I come up with a better solution. Over a course of time I bought 8 old hunting knives off of ebay, all of them more than 50 years old and carbon steel. The beauty of the solution was a "set" of unique knives, with good steel and sheaths that protect the blades when they are on the drawer. They are certainly not slicing knives for the Christmas goose but with a good edge more than capable of cutting a steak.

BTW: MIghty fine work!!!

SS

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    I don't have a photo at hand but years back I had an urge for a "set" of steak knives appropriate for a hunter. Initially I thought of something like this (but I don't grind blades well) and then thought perhaps buying a set of traditional German hunting knives (Nicker). After thinking that over a bit I come up with a better solution. Over a course of time I bought 8 old hunting knives off of ebay, all of them more than 50 years old and carbon steel. The beauty of the solution was a "set" of unique knives, with good steel and sheaths that protect the blades when they are on the drawer. They are certainly not slicing knives for the Christmas goose but with a good edge more than capable of cutting a steak.

BTW: MIghty fine work!!!

SS
    Nice idea, I like it...

I hear that some of the high end, posher (overpriced) restaurants around now bring you a selection of different steak knives to your table when you order steak, so you can try each one to effectively 'choose your weapon' before you get stuck in...

That definitely came to mind with these as each has it's own feel, as stag knives do, I could possible have made them more of a muchness but the individuality of each appealed to me, I can imagine your guests testing each knife in hand before deciding upon one to eat with...