What would you choose?

shotguntom

Now, I know I have just opened a thread that will attract a lot strong views but I'm looking for experienced opinions. I am looking to purchase a new rifle and am torn between the Blaser R93 professional or the Sauer 202 outback.

Aside from handling both and seeing which is the better fit. Which rifle is going to be the better piece of engineering and going to offer the best value for money. I have used an R8 and rather like the straight pull bolt, especially as I plan to hunt boar in Europe again next year. I also have an invite to go hunting again in SA next year.

Caliber wise im looking at 30-06 as my do it all rifle from munty to large plains game.

Your thoughts gentlemen...

mauser 98 based rifle, walnut stock, steel grip cap, silvers pad, 18 lpi point pattern checkering, wrap around front end, straight but slightly sloping butt, slight cheek weld, thin but 'enough' and rounded front end with ebony tip, melded front rails, heavy sporter barrel - 24" 1 in 10 twist, straight bolt handle unless FN action then curved of course, matt oil finish by hand naturally!, recknagel eramatic mounts, front on barrel to show nice mauser receiver crest, 2 leaf express sight, banded front sight, that sort of thing ;)

I can't fault the 202 I have, a very nicely built rifle, the Blazer is also a nice rifle but I didn't get on with the bolt mechanism on it.

either will be accurate.

One plus is if you want a "do it all" rifle the 202 has the option to swap the caliber.

German quality!

Ive shot both,

Ive owned a Blaser, that won't happen again - personal choice, I don't want to start a "Blaser is best diatribe"

The informed choice for me would be the 202

I had a Sauer 202 in .308 for a while, hated it. Especially in comparison with my Sako 75.

That said it stood up to some pretty harsh handling shot straight and was a good workhorse.

Out of the two I'd go for the Sauer.

Wouldn't touch a Blaser with a barge pole. Noisy in operation and too prone to light strikes.

Ive shot both,

Ive owned a Blaser, that won't happen again - personal choice, I don't want to start a "Blaser is best diatribe"

The informed choice for me would be the 202

interesting that at the interbranch shoot we went to that the Blasers were causing most of not all of the mechanical problems. Am not sure how representative that is though

mauser 98 based rifle, walnut stock, steel grip cap, silvers pad, 18 lpi point pattern checkering, wrap around front end, straight but slightly sloping butt, slight cheek weld, thin but 'enough' and rounded front end with ebony tip, melded front rails, heavy sporter barrel - 24" 1 in 10 twist, straight bolt handle unless FN action then curved of course, matt oil finish by hand naturally!, recknagel eramatic mounts, front on barrel to show nice mauser receiver crest, 2 leaf express sight, banded front sight, that sort of thing ;)

Yup, that'd get the heart pumping! Or similar spec on a falling block ;)

interesting that at the interbranch shoot we went to that the Blasers were causing most of not all of the mechanical problems. Am not sure how representative that is though

Quite right - two with problems I recall.

Both sorted "on site" but not a good representative example given the fact it was a comp and the chaps were using their best guns,,,

When I was on the market for a new rifle 6 years ago I took a good look at Sauer 202, Blaser R93 and Mauser 03 and as you maybe know they all come from the same factory....the barrels come from the same machine ecc. So in the end it’s a matter of personal preference...do you like Audi, BMW or Mercedes ? I choose the Sauer 202....no regrets its one of my favourite and its tough, reliable and super accurate !

Here are my latest 4 shoot groups from my 25-06 barrel.

PB170094_zps30e5dfa3.jpg

PB170092_zps96374efe.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm, difficult one. I had the same problem deciding between the two as well and just said sod it and bought both. Wouldn’t like to have to choose between the two, both great guns.

Which fits you better and feels more comfortable should be the deciding factor, cause if it fits well you will shoot well with it. If it does n't you won't and a 30-06 has enough recoil that an ill fitting rifle will be uncomfortable to shoot. And when you are looking at them make sure they feel comfortable with the scope you intend to use mounted with a good cheek weld. Many rifles feel fine without a scope and then you fit one with a 100mm objective lense that has to be mounted so high that just the tip of your chin touches the comb, that it gives the rifle plenty of time to build up a big swing and belt you in the face - ok I exagerate but you get the point.

My sort of rifle but prefer 20 lpi chequering but your very close.

Back