Thread: Driven Deer and Boar

Driven Deer and Boar

Hi all,

I saw a video on facebook of some Spanish driven hunting and I got me wondering how driven hunting is organised and executed. The animals on the video were running at full speed with guns swung through them as you would on a pheasant drive, it was quite exciting looking with some high energy music over it, not a bad video at all. I wondered though, is it usually such fast action with animals running as fast as they can? What sort of ranges are they shot at?

Ive never had any experience of it at all, so thought I'd ask here.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

I do a fair amount of driven hunting for Boar, Sika, Roe, Fox and Badger! Sometimes the animals can just saunter along; it all depends on how close the beaters and dogs are behind them. I have had roe sprint like an Olympian to within 10 meters of me. The weekend before last I had three Boar break cover 8 meters in front of me. They were moving very quickly but I got the first youngster at 4 meters with a Brenneke. There are no set rules, a lot depends on the terrain, the weather, the temperature and luck.

It is strange to raise your gun to a moving deer; I generally give them a whistle to get them to stop. More often than not, they will just drop on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    Hi all,

I saw a video on facebook of some Spanish driven hunting and I got me wondering how driven hunting is organised and executed. The animals on the video were running at full speed with guns swung through them as you would on a pheasant drive, it was quite exciting looking with some high energy music over it, not a bad video at all. I wondered though, is it usually such fast action with animals running as fast as they can? What sort of ranges are they shot at?

Ive never had any experience of it at all, so thought I'd ask here.
    You cannot use the word 'organised' in relation to Spanish driven shooting - it is usually absolute chaos with a lot of shouting, wild hand gestures, beaters dressed as partisan militia and too many wild-eyed dogs running everywhere.

Spaniards clearly have slightly different ideas of sportsmanship and best practice to us, so you'll see animals shot appallingly and carcasses that have been mauled by dogs. They put much greater store in looking cool and smoking heroic numbers of cigarettes than they do in killing animals cleanly and safely - there's something about Catholic countries that makes it OK to use a small bush as a backstop, even if there's a primary school or convent behind it...

If you get the chance, strap your leather vaquero chaps on and get stuck in - there's nothing like a driven monteria hunt to get the pulse racing (despite the chaos and high risk of getting shot by an over excited Spaniard)

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I've corrected your response:

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    there's something about Catholic countries that makes it OK to use a small bush as a backstop, especially if there's a primary school or convent behind it...
    I was taught by Sisters of Mercy and Marist Fathers.

Some of the former could have happily caused charging keilers to collapse on the spot by ringing the end-of-playtime bell, then dispatched them with their bare teeth.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    You cannot use the word 'organised' in relation to Spanish driven shooting - it is usually absolute chaos with a lot of shouting, wild hand gestures, beaters dressed as partisan militia and too many wild-eyed dogs running everywhere.

Spaniards clearly have slightly different ideas of sportsmanship and best practice to us, so you'll see animals shot appallingly and carcasses that have been mauled by dogs. They put much greater store in looking cool and smoking heroic numbers of cigarettes than they do in killing animals cleanly and safely - there's something about Catholic countries that makes it OK to use a small bush as a backstop, even if there's a primary school or convent behind it...

If you get the chance, strap your leather vaquero chaps on and get stuck in - there's nothing like a driven monteria hunt to get the pulse racing (despite the chaos and high risk of getting shot by an over excited Spaniard)

I thought it might have been a Spanish thing. it was quite savage.

Conors account was more what I had in mind for driven hunting.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

I was on a Monteria in Portugal a few years ago. It was very well organised. Safety was paramount and there was plenty of sport. I would go on another one in a heartbeat. I cant comment on Spain, but I would avoid an Italian hunt at all costs!