Thread: Urban deer controll part 1

Urban deer controll part 1

A little while ago I got in contact with a forum member about a previous advertisement for shooting,for the purpose of this story I will call him mr x.
    Through a few pms we got chatting and a very kind offer was made by mr x and a date and time was set for urban deer control.
    We met up by reading and after a cup of coffee and a chat we headed off to our first spot to have a look.We pulled I to the first persons drive (say drive but couldn't see the house through the woods) but I did spot a young roe doe and then her mother.I had an empty rifle and was sat in the truck so spent the next 5 minutes trying to get my rifle loaded and creep out the truck without being spotted.Mr x got into position also and shot the doe and I took the follower doe.Has to be the shortes stalk ever!
    After the deer were cleaned and put in the truck we carried on our stalk through the rest of the wood and then finally seen the house!!!!!!(lottery win won't buy it)
    We set off for another farm and bumped 2 roe on the Road into the farm but they shot into the wood and were not seen again.Mr x was on the look out for a muntjack but before we got to the area we bumped another nice roe buck who went about his business and made his way into the cover.We stalked through a know area for munty and stopped and tried calling but nothing showed.
    After a quick pit stop we wen to another piece of ground for a quick look and spotted a doe and a nice button buck but as this area was struggling for numbers we just watched and had a mooch about can't remember if we seen another doe.
    On the way over to another urban area we spotted plenty of deer and I seen a load in a field that mr x missed (about 10) but a quick reverse and unfortunately they had dissapeared and been replaced by black sheep unbelievably .
    Upon reaching our destination we met (I will call him no volume control) and he proceeded to tell s how the deer are eating all his apples and upsetting his horses and wants some gone.
    We chatted for a while about his new"tack room" and his wood store (made me jealous) when mr x spotted some deer but they quickly melted into the cover.
    We decided to settle down and wait to see if they re appeared but light was going fast when suddenly they appeared but on the wrong land!They were in a 90 acre fruit growing orchard and mr x had no right to shoot there and light had now gone.
    After another scoff mr x made a quick phone call to the orchard owner and in doing so gained another. 90 acres to shoot and our plan was in action for the following morning.
    Mr x had a cosy hammock to sleep in and I roughed it in the back of my van
    Day 1 was a good craic and if day 2 was half as good then I'd be a happy man.
    dave
    ps sure mr x will reveal his name but I will leave that to him.:-)

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    It was a pleasure to take you Dave and as you said we had a good craic.
    You forgot the three that we saw lying down and the buck lying in the middle of the field and the doe in the same field (all on the unshot neighbours).
    I am glad however that you remembered that deer do not mysteriously turn into a flock of sheep
    Mr No volume control really hates deer and shooting around 2x horses, 3x kids and a very loud owner has its challenges. Thankfully the kids weren't there otherwise we may never have seen the deer next door.

Now we have your stalk ratio up to a more respectable 1 deer/4 stalks we'll have to see if we can keep it there or better.
    Well done.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    It was a pleasure to take you Dave and as you said we had a good craic.
    You forgot the three that we saw lying down and the buck lying in the middle of the field and the doe in the same field (all on the unshot neighbours).
    I am glad however that you remembered that deer do not mysteriously turn into a flock of sheep
    Mr No volume control really hates deer and shooting around 2x horses, 3x kids and a very loud owner has its challenges. Thankfully the kids weren't there otherwise we may never have seen the deer next door.

Now we have your stalk ratio up to a more respectable 1 deer/4 stalks we'll have to see if we can keep it there or better.
    Well done.
    Yes the deer amongst that flock of sheep were very jumpy as the truck must have scared them off!
    Knew it would be a good day as it was my 13th stalk and that's my lucky number!
    Thanks again Glynn,
    dave