Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarovski Turrrets

Established Poster

Swarovski Turrrets

I'v been thinking about getting a Z6 scope, probably 18 x mag but i'm a bit stuck on turrets.
    I like the idea of the Ballistic Turret but how accurate can it be. Is the placement finely adjustable or does it just put you in the ballpark.
    I haven't had the opertunity to try and sample a scope as yet so I'm curious about standard turrets. They allways seem to have the caps fitted in photo's.
    Can they be used to dial in to selected ranges. How reliable are they for repeated dialing.

An alternative that has crossed my mind is the Nightforce_NXS_Second_Focal_Plane_5.5-22x50_ZS.
    Both about the same price range and used for occasional stalking, varminting, (long ranges) and a bit of range work. Is that asking a bit much from one scope on a .308.

For stalking I shoot with a Z6 and the BR reticle. Once zeroed, I don't touch the turrets. For target work I have a scope with turrets. I've found trying to get one scope to do two jobs most unsatisfactory.

I now have rails on my rifles, so moving the scopes about isn't hard.

Regards

JCS

I find my swarovski PBC very useful, (its the tool behind the tool that lets it down!) Target shooting or shooting from a high seat when you have a bit of time it all works. When your Woodland stalking, Park culling, or lamping foxes its a different story and good old educated guess work comes in as there just isnt the time to range find and dial in etc...

If im being truthful Ive come to rely on it too much! There's much to be said for practacing and learning the drop rate and ranges etc... Also to my detriment I use a rangefinder too much aswell...

As for the scope choice for me its Swaro all the way, as for accuracy with the ballistic turret its very very good just have to work out the windage.

Regards

WH

I always use turrets , hunting or target . however for hunting they have to be zero stop so it's just the flick of a wrist and your back to your base line zero , even in the dark.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

They are a pretty neat concept but, if I had my time again, I am not sure I would bother. Much of it depends on what type of stalking you are doing and what rifle you have. Most of my stalking is a) Roe and b) woodland so the need for an insanely accurate 239.5yd shot is rare indeed.

I have the Swarovski Z6i and their ballistic turrets on it. You effectively zero at 100y, for example, and then dial your ammo, height above bore, type of scope etc into the App on your iPhone. It then says "assuming you are zero at 100y, turn the bottom ring x clicks for 150y, the next one y clicks for 250y etc and the top one z clicks for 300y".
    The Swaro one has green, yellow and red dots on the dial which you move into place and effectively lock...so you know, once zeroed, that if you move the dial to Yellow it's spot on for 150y.

If you want to get really specific you go to the App where you have saved the settings you have on your rifle and can then ask it where to be at 210 yards and it will tell you "move 4 clicks on from yellow" blah blah so you can be specific even in between your pre-set colour points.

To be honest I have used it twice in a year...once from a high seat at a fox that was 320yards away and once in poor light at a muntjac at about 250y which is a shot I should probably need not have taken but it all ended well and I was utterly confident of the range and direction.
    The App will tell you that, with my 95gr ammo in .243) there's a 13.5" bullet drop over that distance so you just dial it "2 clicks beyond red" (300y) and boom... it simply negates the need to visually work out what 13" looks like at 300y.

I think the point is that it's bit like driving a drone and takes a lot of the natural pleasure/judgment out of it? By the time you have seen your buck, got the phone out, dialed in a new range, clicked the turret, got onto sticks, taken a deep breath and squeezed trigger it's all a bit ridiculous. It's a bit superfluous for my type of stalking and seems too technical and precise. I am a recreational stalker so the fun for me is creeping around at 4am in the Rut and getting within 100y and finding a safe, clean and humane shot.

If you, however, and looking at taking a lot of varied shots at varied ranges and need to be super accurate then perhaps it's more useful? It's more for open land/hill stalking but pretty useless in forest and cornfields in the summer.

If you have the $ then it's a nice add-on but I'd probably have spent the extra on a better Mod or some swanky pair of boots that will last 15 years.

(forgot to add, I missed the Fox.... )
    Last edited by Casual-T; 20-11-2014 at 08:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual-T View Post
    They are a pretty neat concept but, if I had my time again, I am not sure I would bother. Much of it depends on what type of stalking you are doing and what rifle you have. Most of my stalking is a) Roe and b) woodland so the need for an insanely accurate 239.5yd shot is rare indeed.

I have the Swarovski Z6i and their ballistic turrets on it. You effectively zero at 100y, for example, and then dial your ammo, height above bore, type of scope etc into the App on your iPhone. It then says "assuming you are zero at 100y, turn the bottom ring x clicks for 150y, the next one y clicks for 250y etc and the top one z clicks for 300y".
    The Swaro one has green, yellow and red dots on the dial which you move into place and effectively lock...so you know, once zeroed, that if you move the dial to Yellow it's spot on for 150y.

If you want to get really specific you go to the App where you have saved the settings you have on your rifle and can then ask it where to be at 210 yards and it will tell you "move 4 clicks on from yellow" blah blah so you can be specific even in between your pre-set colour points.

To be honest I have used it twice in a year...once from a high seat at a fox that was 320yards away and once in poor light at a muntjac at about 250y which is a shot I should probably need not have taken but it all ended well and I was utterly confident of the range and direction.
    The App will tell you that, with my 95gr ammo in .243) there's a 13.5" bullet drop over that distance so you just dial it "2 clicks beyond red" (300y) and boom... it simply negates the need to visually work out what 13" looks like at 300y.

I think the point is that it's bit like driving a drone and takes a lot of the natural pleasure/judgment out of it? By the time you have seen your buck, got the phone out, dialed in a new range, clicked the turret, got onto sticks, taken a deep breath and squeezed trigger it's all a bit ridiculous. It's a bit superfluous for my type of stalking and seems too technical and precise. I am a recreational stalker so the fun for me is creeping around at 4am in the Rut and getting within 100y and finding a safe, clean and humane shot.

If you, however, and looking at taking a lot of varied shots at varied ranges and need to be super accurate then perhaps it's more useful? It's more for open land/hill stalking but pretty useless in forest and cornfields in the summer.

If you have the $ then it's a nice add-on but I'd probably have spent the extra on a better Mod or some swanky pair of boots that will last 15 years.

(forgot to add, I missed the Fox.... )
    I like your explanation. I have a Z6i ready to be mounted to my 243, that was when it comes back from the smiths!

I was considering getting the BT retro fitted, as mine it has standard turrets at the moment.

When I get an accurate load I am happy with I will fork out further for the PBC.

Some of my shooting is in wide open spaces IE the hill and steep valleys. So this sounds ideal.

cheers

I sold my z6i with BTs (gen1). Thought it well over priced considering the poor quality. The BT's where sloppy and easy to moved my mistake, I had to tape them up. The illumination switch was also easy to turn on by mistake so battery was always flat. I understand these faults have been rectified now with the gen2, however I'd rather spend the extra on a s&b pm11.

I have got both Z6I 5-30X50 BRI II G1 factory referb, but i am going to sell it to help fund a x56 z6i gen 2, top draw scopes in my mind ,i just wish to upgrade, also got the 3-18x50 gen 2 BT, also very happy but depends on how i feel i may also sell this one to upgrade to x56 as well .never had any of the probs that i read about or any of my pals also have had zero faults good kit at a price.
    Last edited by paul o'; 20-11-2014 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by North Cornwall Deer View Post
    I sold my z6i with BTs (gen1). Thought it well over priced considering the poor quality. The BT's where sloppy and easy to moved my mistake, I had to tape them up. The illumination switch was also easy to turn on by mistake so battery was always flat. I understand these faults have been rectified now with the gen2, however I'd rather spend the extra on a s&b pm11.
    I have got a 3-18x50 Z6i with the BRi ret, I got the free of charge cover for the battery switch which stays on the scope until you require illumination, then you remove the cover so you can turn the switch. I called Swarovski UK and they sent me one FOC.

http://uk.swarovskioptik.com/custome..._local_service

I also have spent the extra and bought 2 x PM2 for my other rifles, one in 5-25 x 56 and the other in 3-20 x 50!!! So spoilt for choice!!!

...away from the turrets I actually find I use the illuminated reticle more than I thought and would buy that again if I was to start over. For the OP, who may/may not be familiar with it, has a daytime and night-time (low light) setting so the dot is either very bright or quite dim and can be adjusted on both settings to suit ambient light. The best bit for me, however, is that on the Swaro Z6i it turns itself off if the rifle is vertical so you can wander around with it 'on' and not waste battery...that is, of course, until you forget it's 'on' and lay it in the back of the car and drive for 3 hours and realize it was not just 'on' but ON and the battery dies...