Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 17 hornet

17 hornet

Anyone shooting this calibre at the minute. If so, how are you getting on with it? I had been considering a 204, but the majority of my shots would be sub 200 yards, and I'm wondering would the 17 be more suitable. It'll be used mostly for corvids and the occasional fox.

Thanks
    Davey

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Anyone shooting this calibre at the minute. If so, how are you getting on with it? I had been considering a 204, but the majority of my shots would be sub 200 yards, and I'm wondering would the 17 be more suitable. It'll be used mostly for corvids and the occasional fox.

Thanks
    Davey
    While I am a fan of the 17 Hornet, I have seen MarinePMI of this forum get wind blown at 200M shooting prairiedogs with his 17 Ackley Improved Hornet. My CZ 204 with 40 grain bullets is a laser. No matter which you choose, I can recommend the 527 CZ very highly.~Muir

If I was in your position I would still choose .204 over .17 Hornet, especially if you will be shooting foxes out to 200 yards.

The .204 will out perform the .17 Hornet in every way, will be far better in the wind and therefore more accurate when shooting corvids at range in the wind.

Have you thought about a .17 Rem, they are also in a different league to the little 17 Hornet?

I would not like to spend my money on a .17 Hornet and the regret not getting a .204 at a later date.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    While I am a fan of the 17 Hornet, I have seen MarinePMI of this forum get wind blown at 200M shooting prairiedogs with his 17 Ackley Improved Hornet. My CZ 204 with 40 grain bullets is a laser. No matter which you choose, I can recommend the 527 CZ very highly.~Muir
    That's why I had originally considered the 204, to try and outgun the wind a certain extent. But the frangible 20 gr v max appeals to me,when shooting corvids............. although perhaps there's not really that much difference, in terms frangibility, between it and the 20cal 32 gr version.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    That's why I had originally considered the 204, to try and outgun the wind a certain extent. But the frangible 20 gr v max appeals to me,when shooting corvids............. although perhaps there's not really that much difference, in terms frangibility, between it and the 20cal 32 gr version.
    A .17 Hornet 20 grain bullet @3500ftps or a .204 32 grain bullet at 4000ftps I know which one id choose. I run my .204 39sbk @ 3750 ftps.

Quote Originally Posted by 247sniper View Post
    If I was in your position I would still choose .204 over .17 Hornet, especially if you will be shooting foxes out to 200 yards.

The .204 will out perform the .17 Hornet in every way, will be far better in the wind and therefore more accurate when shooting corvids at range in the wind.

Have you thought about a .17 Rem, they are also in a different league to the little 17 Hornet?

I would not like to spend my money on a .17 Hornet and the regret not getting a .204 at a later date.

Steve.
    Yep, I would consider a 17rem, but the small choice of rifles was putting me off, as was factory ammo availability. I intend to start loading my own, but ideally I'd like to start out with some factory stuff until I find my feet, as this will be my first c/f rifle

.17 Rem is probably not the easiest cartridge to start realoading with, but if I were looking at a .17 CF its the one I would opt for.

I like the idea of both the .17 Hornet and .204, but a long-range cartridge that can't buck the wind seems like a non-starter in Ireland. So I always end up gravitating toward either shorter range (.17HMR) or heavier bullet (.223/.22-250/220-swift).

Cheers,
    Jeff.

Any other 17 hornet owners???

I own a 204 and can't fault it. Very accurate, Bucks the wind surprisingly very well, shoots like a laser and great down range performance. There easy to reload for, I have found not too fussy with home loads and easyish to find factory ammo for. I'm considering swapping my tikka for a sako in same calibre...

i too thought about a 17 rem but the availability of rifles and equipment put me off a little, the 204 does everything a 17 or a 223 does a vice versa, it's only if you shoot past 300 yards each calibre listed shows its plus and minus. I regularly zero the 204 at 300 but have yet to shoot at night at that range!

the 223 or 22-250 are better calibre a if you wish to take small deer though as unfortunately neither the 17 or 204 are legal.

however any of the calibres discussed will do the job very well, you just need to go with your gut instinct otherwise you'll only be changing the rifle in the future...