Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 hill rifle

.270 hill rifle

I hear from many a scottish stalker that their go to rifle out on the hill is the .270. Now, obviously not everyone shoots a .270 on the hill, but was just interested in hearing more or why from those that use them. This is not a dig at the calibre at all. I have never shot one, just interested in seeing what other people favour in certain situations.

I will follow this with interest as I have a soft spot for the 270 despite never having owned one.

Ps my hill rifle is a 7mm RM

my hill rifle is a 260rem , 140g bullets at 2800fps seems to do the trick. (it's also my go to rifle for most stalking)

no real experience of the 270 save for a few tries , and I found it to be quite obtuse to no real advantage?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    I found it to be quite obtuse to no real advantage?
    Annoyingly insensitive? Prone to deliberately misunderstanding your comments? I can see why you don't like it - sounds like a mother-in-law.

The 270 win is a fast shooting calibre that is ideal for shooting deer sized animals out to 250 or even 300 yds. It has less recoil than the 30-06. It became very popular in the US post war for open ground shooting. Many British and continental rifle makers built lots of 270s for the American market. When in UK estates and forestry commission where replacing 303, 6.5x54 Mannlichers and 7x57s (all shooting long bullets at 2,400 fps which had become illegal in Scotland due to the deer act) in the early 1970s the ready availability of 270 rifles from the likes of BSA and Parker Hale meant widespread adoption.

Now if you want a hill rifle and are not a calibre freak chances are it will be a 270. Just about any gunshop will have a box or three of 270 ammo.

There and always have been others in its class - 6.5x55, 260, 7x57, 7x64, 7mm-08, 7mm Rem mag, 308, 30-06 etc. that will send a 130 to 150 gr bullet flat enough that if you zero inch and bit high at 100yds and put the cross on the boiler room you will be within three inches right out to as far as is reasonable to shoot and if it's a bit further hold a wee bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Annoyingly insensitive? Prone to deliberately misunderstanding your comments? I can see why you don't like it - sounds like a mother-in-law.

SD Regular
    The history of the adoption of the calibre has been well explained by Heym /i\. It was available and it does the job. Availability and range of ammo available is excellent (90-160gr) for different uses and it is easy to load for. It has gained further credibility as being seen as the minimum recommended calibre for all UK land game (so boar and goat too). I find it an unfussy, effective round. I'm sure others are the same, but it is the calibre I go to - 90gr for fox whistles along at 3600+, 110-140 for deer, 150+ for goat and boar (and deer). It also happens to be the main calibre I was brought up on, so it's what I know. It has never failed me - again I'm sure other calibres would do just as well, but it is my choice.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    The history of the adoption of the calibre has been well explained by Heym /i\. It was available and it does the job. Availability and range of ammo available is excellent (90-160gr) for different uses and it is easy to load for. It has gained further credibility as being seen as the minimum recommended calibre for all UK land game (so boar and goat too). I find it an unfussy, effective round. I'm sure others are the same, but it is the calibre I go to - 90gr for fox whistles along at 3600+, 110-140 for deer, 150+ for goat and boar (and deer). It also happens to be the main calibre I was brought up on, so it's what I know. It has never failed me - again I'm sure other calibres would do just as well, but it is my choice.
    I am in agreement with you Eric.

Although I have tried some 110 grain factory rounds from Norma. They did not group that well, from memory around 2".

Most other factory rounds I have tried have been <1" groups, that is from 130 - 156 grain bullets.

I have killed fox, muntjac, CWD, roe, fallow, sika and red with it, also a UK boar and goat. As well as a few mainland Europe wild boar. One of them being 115 KG (18 stone)

Great chambering for open hill, although when I get my hands on my 7mm Rem Mag that may take the place as being my open hill/ground rifle
    Last edited by 270Buck; 20-11-2014 at 11:33.

I've had two, never should have parted with the second one. I was never a big fan of the 130gr factory ammo that was available here, once I started to reload, I realised how versatile the 270 really is. I would tackle anything in Europe with a 270 and 140gr Accubonds or 150 partitions. I feel a new one may be in my future.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Some very interesting replies here.
    Being new to the .270 I am not yet in a position to give any sort of informed reply but I will certainly be watching this thread with great interest so please keep the thoughts and opinions coming in guys.