Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 100gr

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

.270 100gr

Went to get some expanding ammo heads today to load up for the .270, I was looking for 130gr as these seem to be the most popular with this calibre/cartridge.

I was surprised to see on the shelf 100gr for a .270, has anyone used these? I can only imagine they get blown out the barrel at a very fast velocity indeed and must be flat to about 350m????

I have no intention of loading these, was just curious if people have and what sort of ballistics they provide.

TJ

Hi, hope all well up the road? Have just changes from some v fast 130gr SST and interbonds which were causing big damage on Roes to Accubonds (140 gr). They will hopefully do much less damage but seem to be v accurate, nice 1 inch group at 100m.

Just joined a FC syndicate 1 hr south of Stirling, any joy getting hold of some ground?

AJC

Quote Originally Posted by Jinga View Post
    Just joined a FC syndicate 1 hr south of Stirling, any joy getting hold of some ground?
    AJC
    Things are looking up

Hope your FC is a good one, hearing nothing but bad reports of them lately.

TJ

I started stalking with a .270 and the bullet I used then was the Speer 100Gr SP - very fast and did damage the Roe a bit more than the heavier 130 Gr bullets but then a square hit on the shoulder with any calibre is likely to write it off. I even used the Sierra 90 Gr HP for a couple of years - marvellous on foxes and always exited on Roe too but a bit too hard on the carcass and so changed eventually to the more usual 130 Gr in Sierra or Nosler. If you haven't tried the lighter bullets give them a go, they produce less recoil and fly a little flatter but I would not recommend them for larger species.

Regards,

KRS

MacLeods in Tain is selling Norma 110gr Hornady VMax, so clearly there is a market for these lighter heads at present.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    MacLeods in Tain is selling Norma 110gr Hornady VMax, so clearly there is a market for these lighter heads at present.
    Gregor was doing his best to sell them to me when I picked up the .270 from him, but I stuck with the 130gr.

If its anything like the 110gn in .308 then the initial velocity is high but due to the poor SD of the bullet it bleeds of pretty quick, therefore negating any advantage over range.

Hi TJ, I use 110g V-Max out of my .270 for foxes, and they are good out of my rifle, 3 shots @ 100 yards under 0.5", and is devastating on foxes, dont know how Heart/lung shots would be on Roe's or Reds, because i have never tried them on heart/lung shots, head shots are devastating also, Wullie.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

A long time ago, I used to load 100grn V-Max in the .270 win for head shooting park red deer, they were very accurate and proved ideal for this purpose but, on the few occaisions that I used them for chest shooting wild deer, I found the ammount of damage to be quite significant. 130grn for everything is the way to go with the .270 in my opinion. JC

According to Hornady the V-Max is a 'Varmit' bullet that is likley to break up on impact rather than mushroom. How may people use the V-MAX for shooting large game?