Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sako 75 deluxe........what would you do?

sako 75 deluxe........what would you do?

I have a Sako 75 Deluxe in .308 which I seriously doubt I would ever part with but it is getting to that point where it requires a little tlc. I really don't know which road to take as regards it's future and wondered what you enlightened members would do.....

Ideally I would put a slightly heavier barrel on than standard and have it finished at 26" then have it and the action re-blacked. Stock wise I don't think I will find a better shape but fancy some grade 5 or 6 walnut being turned into a replacement for it ( I have no idea even where to begin with this one ). The downside to this idea is I am unfortunately, prone to bashing and crashing about so will ultimately end up with a very nice looking yet dinged to hell rifle (not an issue but to begin with it would piss me right off ).

Option number 2 would be to just whack a heavy tube on it, dump it in a GRS stock or similar and enjoy the hell out of it while not worrying about dings and dents.......

.......soooooo, what would Jebus do?

I've been in discussion with PKL on here re. doing up my Sako 75 lll much along the lines that you are talking about so he's all primed with the info if you want to contact him. He's also owned them before so knows the rifles.

Ziggy - Does the rifle shoot straight & hold a good group? If it does why mess about with re-barreling it?
    Is the crown still crisp? If it's dinged maybe get that re-cut, although if the rifle still groups it may be a pointless exercise.
    Is the chamber headspace still within spec? - If not the existing barrel can be machined & then re-fitted.
    Is the blueing still good? (assuming it's not stainless) that can be re-done, or you can get it Ceracoated any colour you'd like.
    If you put a new heavy barrel on it, it will handle very differently & not be the "same" rifle! - the same applies if you put an aftermarket stock on it.
    If your stock is a bit knocked about certainly get it stripped back, the dings raised & re-finish it - an old fashioned oil finish will bring it back like new.
    You say you like the existing stock form - It is already the deluxe version. --- Why change it?

Ian

Macmillan stock, Cerakote finish all over, use it!
    MS

Sorry for the slow reply, just trying to work out if I have lost my phone as been without it all day. The rifle certainly does shoot, better than I can but the "character" that it is (sometimes needing 40 shots to begin grouping again after a clean ) does wear a little thin at times. The blueing is ok but to be honest it does need a few spots taking care of, the barrel length thing is just me having a preference for them ( no other reason ). The handling etc isn't a problem and neither is lugging about a little weight ( my .223 has a barrel of 27" long and the majority is over 1" wide in a laminate stock ) The stock that it wears at the moment does still scrub up ok but I just want something a bit flashy that makes me smile like a silly bugger every time I pick it up. I have no qualms about it becoming a big heavy beast if need be in a Macmillan and with a monster barrel, it really wouldn't phase me but as I already own an R8 Professional it would be nice to keep something that bit special. I have also received a couple of interesting pms so plenty to think about and thank you for taking the time to read/reply

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Sorry for the slow reply, just trying to work out if I have lost my phone as been without it all day. The rifle certainly does shoot, better than I can but the "character" that it is (sometimes needing 40 shots to begin grouping again after a clean ) does wear a little thin at times. ...
    ziggy

Sell it then. I prefer to use a rifle that will shoot without having to be warmed up and 40 shots sounds excessive to me. You're a lucky man if you have easy access to a location where you can fire 40 shots.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    The rifle certainly does shoot, better than I can but the "character" that it is (sometimes needing 40 shots to begin grouping again after a clean ) does wear a little thin at times.
    stop bloody cleaning it then!!

Ziggy mate, may I have 1st dibs on the stock,
    ps rebarrel it and stick it in a GRS stock

Haha yes J, if I do scare up the folding stuff to go down one route then of course you can, I will even hand deliver it to you ;-) just DONT let Pete know or I will have to give him something too

Sorry Bewsher, I am handicapped by this love of cleaning firearms......more often than not down to boredom but I do enjoy it. Helpless I'm afraid