gralloch disposal

mickjgardner

while i was stood in the woods tonight digging a hole to bury the gralloch from a muntjac i had just shot i wondered what other people do with theirs. as i am a recreational stalker and not doing it as a business surely it would be perfectly legal to just bag it and put it in my wheelie bin as rabbit skins ,chicken carcasses,left over joints are thrown in bins every day.when i have had to bring the gralloch back home ,there is a dung pile on the farm where i live and if you put anything on there it is mobbed by around 50 red kites and goes in no time

Up here in gods country it is raptor or fox food.

Will be gone by sunset apaprt from the gut contents. It is allowed for us to put with normal refuse as long as in a sealed bag within wheelie bin. I have put foxes in my bin without issue.

Dead ones of course.

the davice on gralloch disposal does say that local traditions of gralloch disposal ie in scot land leaving the gralloch for eagles etc is accepted so i suppose in this area it is acceptable to leave for kites as long as it is away from public veiw

I think you are right... so long as it isn't commercial waste then you are within your rights, albeit subject to what your local council rules are with regard to separating food/organic waste etc...

I butchered a roe deer last year and put the remains (basically just the skeleton, separated into 3 sections - neck, rib-cage and pelvis) into my bin bag. I left for work in the dark on the morning of bin collection and when I returned home that evening I was dismayed to find the foxes had pulled some of it out through a hole and the bin men had just left that one bag there with bones sticking out. :oops:

I spent the evening expecting CSI to turn up on the doorstep! :rolleyes:

Alex

Our dustcart has transported too many to count of rabbits heads & feet, guts, plus the odd fox that we could'nt get on to the middin' on the way home, long as its bagged properly no complaints.

i usually bury mine when im stalking for myself on my own permissions , i carry a small folding army type spade in my roe sack along with the kitchen sink ! :lol:
i also carry a larger spade in the truck for the bigger deer .

there was also a bit in the news a couple of months ago about the local tree huggers had shelled out a huge amount of money patching up a roe doe that had been hit by a car ,when they realeased it they radio tagged it , and when they found it , its head and gralloch was in the bottom of a whole , the poor bugger had obviusly been rolled over by the local stalker ! and the headline went some thing like this , POLICE LOOKING FOR SUSPECTS IN DECAPITATED ROE DEER CASE :lol::lol:

CHEERS

He should have left it for the black and white strippey gralloch fairies,the tag would still be running around now.:lol:

He should have left it for the black and white strippey gralloch fairies,the tag would still be running around now.:lol:

The 'Newcastle United supporters' do a fine job in getting rid of most of mine too!:D
Arms length down a rabbit hole and then stamp the entrance in is another method I have used many times.
Always remember to pop the rhumen if burying it though or the next day you will find you have planted a 'Green spacehopper' seed!;):lol:

Up here in gods country it is raptor or fox food.

Will be gone by sunset apaprt from the gut contents. It is allowed for us to put with normal refuse as long as in a sealed bag within wheelie bin. I have put foxes in my bin without issue.

Dead ones of course.
Aye they'd kick up a bit going in live.

Getting the hang of these posts.

Hygiene and food regulations say the gralloch and offal should be buried 1 mtr down and a certain distance from any water source, so i carry a JCB in my sack and a stick of dynamite to get through the rock failing which I take the legs off and head along with gralloch ,split the rumen and it gets placed under a tree line usually its gone by the following day inc the rumen . those foxes must have some fancy taste around were i stalk i can tell you

Yeah its a funny old world,nothing never seems to be wasted in nature,almost like magic the way things just disapear.;)

As Caprelous said split the rumen if you don't it tends to get left for a while, if split find its usually gone the next day all thats left is the contents and that disappears quite quick.

I tend to deposit the gralloch into the tickest patch of brambles / nettles / etc I can find or if there is a convenient rabbit hole then downit goes. Also split the rumen open plus chop it and the rest of the guts into smaller bits - that way it is very quickly disposed off.

Most of my deer are shot late evening and have been back early in the morning and nothing left. But I do have a lot of dog walkers etc across my ground so if going out stalking in the morning and empty gralloch goes into a black bin bag for disposal later, along with head etc. I don't want the farmer getting rung up by some wifey all distressed that her darling labrador has come back with a deer's head etc.

I always leave the spade back in the truck, by the time I've hefted the beast/beasts back to the truck. sorted out the loading, sorted out a brew, cleaned myself up, and wandered back to where I thought I'd with the spade in order to bury it the gralloch. Its usually long gone. The only thing that gets stamped into the nearest rabbit hole are the legs and heads.

I put the gralloch, heads and feet of 6 Sika hinds under some gorse on Friday night and all that was left in the morning were 7 of the feet! Foxes and badgers do a great job!

Back