Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Quad Bike Advice Needed

Basic Quad Bike Advice Needed

I have been thinking about getting a quad and a road trailer for it. It would be used on farmland, fen and woodland tracks. Not many hills this way, so no steep climbing.
    It would get light use, mainly for recovering deer carcasses, moving high seats and the like but would need to pull its trailer.
    I have been picking the brains of professional gamekeepers and farmers who use a quad in the course of their duties and work them hard.
    They all tell me to get a Honda and a 4x4.
    I would ideally like something smaller, both for the storage space and weight. Also the big quads are seriously expensive.
    Would a Honda Fourtrax 250 cc with 2x4 be up to the task that I have in mind ?
    I have had a look at the previous threads on quads without result. Advice from those that use them for relatively light work in fairly tame environments would be appreciated.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

Honda trx 350 great bikes will do anything

I have a Honda fourtrak 350 for work, daily use for the last six years and never missed a beat, it does everything and more that you have listed with ease

Quote Originally Posted by dave2506 View Post
    Honda trx 350 great bikes will do anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Akeld View Post
    I have a Honda fourtrak 350 for work, daily use for the last six years and never missed a beat, it does everything and more that you have listed with ease
    Thanks for the responses. I see that you are both from parts of the country that is far from flat. I wonder how much you need to use the four wheel drive and whether you think a two wheel drive quad would meet the 'soft south' conditions I have outlined ? I have no idea what a quad in two wheel drive will cope with.
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

had honda 2 wheel drive ok on concrete not for fields change to yamaha 2 wheel drive with 4 wheel drive at the push of a button and diff lock use for feeding pheasants and recovery of deer on lowlands and hills brilliant bike more ground clearance than honda and put the weight of a trailer over any sort of ground especially a 2 wheel quad you will be stuck

If you can pick up a Suzuki LT 250 they are well worth there money, they do have 4 wheel drive but are small lightweight bikes easy to lift and get on a trailer, had 3 of them and never let me down.They will pull a trailer no problem in 2 wheel drive and the extra 4 wheel drive is there if you need it , what I liked about it is its selectable 2/4 wheel drive compared to constant 4wd like the Honda's. I have a Suzuki Eiger now and its selectable 2/4 wd but a lot heavier and harder to get out of failed ditch crossings . Suzuki's will be a bit cheaper but good enough for what your at by the sounds of it.

You'll need a 6x4 trailer to get the quad in (ifor williams & indespension are perfect for this). On a
    a track you'll be OK with 2 wheel drive,.. off a track you will be in trouble. Trailers give considerable additional drag in soft conditions,.. 4wd really is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I see that you are both from parts of the country that is far from flat. I wonder how much you need to use the four wheel drive and whether you think a two wheel drive quad would meet the 'soft south' conditions I have outlined ? I have no idea what a quad in two wheel drive will cope with.
    Forget 2wd......anything soft and your asking to get it stuck!

hondas are good but you pay a premium for the name
    after having a suzuki for the last few years i think they are better value for money

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    Forget 2wd......anything soft and your asking to get it stuck!
    i have the 4wd 350 fourtrax and my neighbour has the 2wd variant with very good tyres on the back have used his bike on the hill and been surprised at how capable it was and our ground is peat bog and hills all the power going to the back wheels if your towing a trailer might be a good combination