Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for the experts please

Question for the experts please

I recently purchased a new Browning X Bolt light weight stalker in 308 cal with fluted barrel in stainless. A colleague of mine was given a very nice Sauer in 308 cal which has shot hundreds of rounds. How'ever he claimed that my new barrel would be shot out and in need of replacing way before his legendary second hand Sauer!
    I just said " of course it will" to shut him up, Can you experienced smiths please cast your expert opinions over this post and let me know if my Browning barrel will come in a poor second or will it last equally as long. I regularly clean my rifle unlike my colleague.
    Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by sjb1956 View Post
    I recently purchased a new Browning X Bolt light weight stalker in 308 cal with fluted barrel in stainless. A colleague of mine was given a very nice Sauer in 308 cal which has shot hundreds of rounds. How'ever he claimed that my new barrel would be shot out and in need of replacing way before his legendary second hand Sauer!
    I just said " of course it will" to shut him up, Can you experienced smiths please cast your expert opinions over this post and let me know if my Browning barrel will come in a poor second or will it last equally as long. I regularly clean my rifle unlike my colleague.
    Thanks in advance.
    I will say only this, "more barrels are destroyed by poor cleaning regime then have ever been shot out"

Ian.

If you don't shoot top end loads with heavy bullets you will not burn out the throat, so with normal loads, and only cleaning when necessary, most .308s will not see an accuracy fall off until passing 5,000 rounds.

I wouldn't worry about it to much . The average hunter won't " burn out " a barrel in normal everyday use , regardless of make . As Whitebeard says , don't go over-board with your cleaning routine , a lot of barrels I've seen were damaged by incorrect cleaning methods . You have a stainless barrel , so rust and pitting shouldn't be of to much concern . You have a good rifle and it will probably out last us both lol .

AB

Blog Entries
    Yes on a .308 or .223 I have heard the 5000 rounds number mentioned too. Whether that would appreciably affect the kind of accuracy we require as stalkers I doubt.

I'm equally sure I heard a story about one manufacturer test firing barrels into the tens of thousands with no loss of accuracy.

Thinking of all those upto 100 year old Lee Enfields in Canada or even the 1940's Kalashnikovs still being used out in Afghan, I'm not sure that there isn't a lot of myth around this subject.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

sjb how long do you intend to live? Yes the Sauer barrel may possibly out live that of your Browning because Sauer have a reputation for longevity. But with care and reasonable use your Browning will last a lifetime of shooting, the Sauer will probably last a lifetime and a half.

However It will all depend how each is used or abused and a poor cleaning regime be it too much, or too little, or even just doing it plain wrong will shorten the life of both barrels.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

As been said in the above, but i would add do you shoot paper ? do you shoot 1000's a year ? tell your pal oh well never mind i'll get over it !! go shooting enjoy your sport and don't worry about such piffle in the not so short term, or until it has happened and i'll bet that's a long way off, by the way " MY CATS BLACKER THAN YOUR CAT " !!

I know of a .243 which has had upwards of 8000 bullets down the barrel and it's still being used virtually daily as a stalking rifle. . It's probably not going to win any bench rest competitions but is still perfectly serviceable.

E.g. it started its life as a range queen.

I wouldn't worry about shooting out your .308 barrel
    Last edited by Cadex; 22-11-2014 at 10:30.

A lot of barrel burnt out is a myth. I have used rifles with upwards of 5000 rounds through them in all weather conditions. That are still shooting fine if it shoots don't stress over it my Brno in the classifieds is older than me and still shoots fine

I've shot the barrel out on one rifle, but when I worked it out I had probably shot over 14,000 rounds through it over a 12 year period. It would possibly still be shooting today if I hadn't shot a large number of rounds in a very short period of time through it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.