Thread: Fährtenschuh training

Fährtenschuh training

Hi folks, does anyone here have experience with training dogs to track deer using tracking shoes ( fährtenschuh)with deer cleats attached. ?

Hi!
    Welcome to the site....
    You may find lots of guys on here training their dogs with scent shoes (Fährtenschuhe), you may also find several threads mentioning them, a lot of useful advices too...
    And yes, I use them for training bloodhounds, and yes, they are believed (and I agree) as the only proper training tool to get the dogs nose trained to follow one individual track.
    Atb

Michael
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Go to the 8 minutes point of the video and all will be made clear The Bodos aluminium jobs were developed by my pal who is a German gamekeeper and he sells them.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post

Go to the 8 minutes point of the video and all will be made clear The Bodos aluminium jobs were developed by my pal who is a German gamekeeper and he sells them.

Martin
    enjoyed watching that thanks for posting it, good to see breeds that are not normally thought of as tracking dogs in action, just wish I could of understood him.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

Hi michael, martin. I bought a pair of the bodo type from Grube. I have watched that YouTube clip before and many like it. The questions I have is that I have some cleats in the freezer from some fallow deer I shot in September. I was wondering how long I should allow them to defrost for before attaching to the shoes and creating a trail.
    If they are not fully defrosted or if defrosted too much how will this impact on the role of the scent gland (interdigital) ?. Also is this gland still functional releasing scent since being frozen and severed from the deer ?
    Will my dog only be following the slot marks as I will not be using blood.

Just defrost overnight and use them with the shoe once you lay a trail re freeze for the next time. use them about 4 times and discard and use another set. atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    Just defrost overnight and use them with the shoe once you lay a trail re freeze for the next time. use them about 4 times and discard and use another set. atb wayne

Correct, I would allow them to defrost totally...
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

I bought the shoes at frankonia. I don't worry about defrosting because of the hotter weather defrosts them on the shoe. I also use liver blood which I drop every 10 yards. With a good treat at the end. I also get other people to lay the track with a few 90 degree corners. I also do a few loops to confuse the dog. Not animals run in a straight line.