Army surplus

dan71

Hi i just wondered if anyone uses army surplus jackets/trousers? Have seen some good looking stuff an am thinking it must be fairly good. Any ideas?

Apparently the new stuff is good, I've got the old DPM stuff, not so keen on it though, apart from the pants, there great for everyday mucking about in. Just don't the jackets, I think they are to big and clumbersome for shooting pursuits, therefore making to much noise.

Just my humble opinion though :)

I still use some socks and norgie shirts I was issued with over ten years ago (still holding up -just). I use military kit for base/mid layers, but won't wear DPM or MTP because I don't like bimbling around the countryside looking like a squadie, and it's not as good as some of the kit on the market that's made for hunting (swedeteam, nomad, baretta, harkila, etc etc)

I find the German army surpluss is better. Harder wearing,more comfort and very reasonable to buy
Tusker

The military kit will do you well and won't break the bank a set up of DPM two sets so you have a change if you are going to be away a few days. And a complete goretex suit. Wouldn't cost you more than 100. With the big names out there you wouldn't even get a pair of trousers for that the military stuff is also modular so good use of the layer system will ensure you are always comfortable

Most of the surplus stuff is designed as a "system" so in some cases people are unhappy with it because they buy part of a system and wonder why it doesn't work well.

I'm not keen on wandering about in cammo myself as I'm not a soldier, don't want to be one and don't want to pretend to be one. On the other hand when I thought about it no one sees me when I'm out and about so why should I care.

With waterproofing washed into them the windproof smocks make the ideal lowland/forestry stalking jacket. I've a lot of jackets but the windproof smocks go out almost all the time now. I also now use them a lot when fishing, walking and doing other stuff. They are not totally waterproof which makes them very breathable and so you actually stay drier and warmer than even in the best of the totally waterproof jackets. The pockets are great, they are hardwearing, you can pick them up for £10 and being part of a clothing system makes them very flexible. If it is going to be very wet then wear the smock with a goretex layer UNDER it. Then you keep your pockets but are totally waterproof and pretty silent, the fact that it is designed to be worn under the smock is why most of the surplus gore tex layers have no pockets.

I like the design of the older DPM smocks as they are much more simple but the latest MK2 MTP smocks have mesh lining, pit zips, fleece handwarmer pockets and so on and they compare very favourably with commercial jackets in terms of "features." The problem is that you don't need many of the features. As a cammo pattern I prefer MTP simply because it isn't so dark and so works better almost everywhere except for in deep forest however it does stand out a bit more in low light.

There are also good Haix and Altberg boots available, for around £50, as surplus. If they fit and suit your feet then these are top notch boots for very little money.

When it comes to trousers I would wear some of the surplus trousers in warm weather but still can't find anything to beat Harkila trousers in bad weather.

I find the German army surpluss is better. Harder wearing,more comfort and very reasonable to buy
Tusker
The only item of surplus I wear is trousers, German issue and are the best general fishing/shooting trousers I have ever had.
Comfortable, hard wearing and quick drying, just a shame they are getting so pricy to buy these days.

Neil. :)

dan71,
I have military surplus MTP goretex jacket/ trousers and smock. It is good quality stuff, it works and the price is right.

Used surplus for years.

Was foolishly convinced it was no good. Spent a fortune on civvi hunting gear.

Which fell apart quicker, was less comfortable, had fewer pockets, dried more slowly and made more noise.

Now back to surplus, except for one heavy duty waterproof winter jacket.

The trousers in particular are unbeatable.

Tusker

This is the truth particularly the trousers , much better material, cut and comfort. The German army have always been better dressed than us lot!

I use British, German and Dutch Army surplus gear for fishing, shooting, beating and at work. It is keenly priced, dependable, robust and does the job. I couldn't give two hoots if I look like a confused squaddie double agent who got dressed in the dark.

caorach and Mungo say it very well in my opinion. I also wont be buying any high end, high price designer stalking clothing any time soon.

the old stuff is thicker and seems to have lasted longer than most.

the new mtp ? stuff is thin and as mentioned its got more Velcro than a set of formula 1 tyre warmers.

I work in the garrisons Taylor shop (who looked after all of Tidworth/Bulford boscombe down larkhill and Aldershot) for the best part of a year and to me its not that good the old sweats seem to think its not as good as the old stuff, but then I suppose its down to what you have to do in it.

I do not use any camo gear at all as I think its just not the right thing for me to be seen in on a nice estate, in fact I have a shoot here that will not let you on it if you have camo gear of any kind on it,

best of luck, but im keen on just plain green

bob.

I was going to say Sealion, but forgot they don't have knees; getting hold of their waterproof bum is bloody tricky enough though, so some sniper outfits have a waterproof 'rse and knee patches (German and Danish - Arktis did a set too a few years ago). Although, experience reminds me that water 'gets in' anyway.
Carry an inflatable mat; sit on it (waterproof bum), kneel on it (waterproof knees and bum - unless you have a bum in an unusual place).
Folds up thin enough to squeeze into any spare cracks in your kit. :D

Thanks RockoShay, I usually have a garden kneeling mat thingy to sit on, now I want to stay a bit dryer when crawling through wet stuff. Now I use waterproofs under my greens.

Had to buy a new dutch army DPM goretex jacket last year. The last one gave up the ghost after 10 years on the hill. Also use flektarn trouser for lowland stuff. All fantastic gear and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Had a look at the new british army jacket. Liked the camo design but it only had 2 chest pockets which is no good.

Back