Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howa 1500 rifles

Post Howa 1500 rifles

Came across a shop that has a few of these and the prices are quite good. Anyone has experience with them? How are they when talking our of box accuracy and build quality? Cheers.

Had two new Howa's, both tack drivers, sporter's in .223 & 7mmWSM.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Very good for the money. Try brock and norris thats where mine came from.

I use them all the time for proper semi custom builds, they are accurate out of the box and can be found at reasonable money.

I've owned two, the first in .223 calibre and now one in .308

The .223 was one of the early Howas and suffered terribly due to the rubbish hogue stock and heavy trigger.
    I had the action bedded into the stock and the trigger reworked and it transformed the rifle into a 'proper shooter'.

I've just recently bought the .308 and completely stripped it down. I'm impressed with the solid engineering, and noted that where other supposed top end manufacturers are using plastic, howa is using metal.

The new mk11 trigger is a huge improvement over the old version, and actually for a factory trigger really quite nice to use.. . The new version of the hogue stock is also a huge improvement, and with a bit of fettling should be perfectly serviceable.

I was going to finish by saying "they are great rifles for the money" but the truth of it is they're just great rifles.
    Last edited by Cadex; 22-11-2014 at 10:11.

If my FAC comes back with the wanted .223 variation on it, a howa is at the top of the list for me, very good price for what you get.

Closely followed by a browning

I'm surprised that you have to ask Adrian as you previously said that you "Own an assortment of Sakos, Tikkas, Rugers, and Remingtons" so you surely must be familiar with firearms and must have encountered Howa's before unless you have been in deep cover somewhere.
    Both over here and in the U.S. the Howa has a good reputation for being an excellant value for money rifle loosely based on the Remington 700 but better made.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I own a howa 1500 stainless sporter in .270. Did a bit of trigger fettling fitted some good glass and I wouldn't change it for anything! This rifle has accounted for many a roe at 250yds from a bipod. Got this rifle from my local rfd as a shop soiled action and barrel for 350 quid! The barrel still had grease inside! Grate rifles for anyone at the prices you can pick them up for!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    I've owned two, the first in .223 calibre and now one in .308

The .223 was one of the early Howas and suffered terribly due to the rubbish hogue stock and heavy trigger.
    I had the action bedded into the stock and the trigger reworked and it transformed the rifle into a 'proper shooter'.

I've just recently bought the .308 and completely stripped it down. I'm impressed with the solid engineering, and noted that where other supposed top end manufacturers are using plastic, howa is using metal.

The new mk11 trigger is a huge improvement over the old version, and actually for a factory trigger really quite nice to use.. . The new version of the hogue stock is also a huge improvement, and with a bit of fettling should be perfectly serviceable.

I was going to finish by saying "they are great rifles for the money" but the truth of it is they're just great rifles.
    Would that .223 have been the blued one I had from you as a stopgap, while a Border was being built?, If so I wish I still had it! take the nads off of a bluebottle at a great distance!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Would that .223 have been the blued one I had from you as a stopgap, while a Border was being built?, If so I wish I still had it! take the nads off of a bluebottle at a great distance!!
    Yes that's the one
    Wish I had kept it as well, don't know what the hell I was thinking.