Howa 1500 rifles

adrian44

Came across a shop that has a few of these and the prices are quite good. Anyone has experience with them? How are they when talking our of box accuracy and build quality? Cheers.

I use them all the time for proper semi custom builds, they are accurate out of the box and can be found at reasonable money.

I've owned two, the first in .223 calibre and now one in .308

The .223 was one of the early Howas and suffered terribly due to the rubbish hogue stock and heavy trigger.
I had the action bedded into the stock and the trigger reworked and it transformed the rifle into a 'proper shooter'.

I've just recently bought the .308 and completely stripped it down. I'm impressed with the solid engineering, and noted that where other supposed top end manufacturers are using plastic, howa is using metal.

The new mk11 trigger is a huge improvement over the old version, and actually for a factory trigger really quite nice to use.. . The new version of the hogue stock is also a huge improvement, and with a bit of fettling should be perfectly serviceable.

I was going to finish by saying "they are great rifles for the money" but the truth of it is they're just great rifles.

Last edited:
If my FAC comes back with the wanted .223 variation on it, a howa is at the top of the list for me, very good price for what you get.

Closely followed by a browning

I'm surprised that you have to ask Adrian as you previously said that you "Own an assortment of Sakos, Tikkas, Rugers, and Remingtons" so you surely must be familiar with firearms and must have encountered Howa's before unless you have been in deep cover somewhere.
Both over here and in the U.S. the Howa has a good reputation for being an excellant value for money rifle loosely based on the Remington 700 but better made.

I own a howa 1500 stainless sporter in .270. Did a bit of trigger fettling fitted some good glass and I wouldn't change it for anything! This rifle has accounted for many a roe at 250yds from a bipod. Got this rifle from my local rfd as a shop soiled action and barrel for 350 quid! The barrel still had grease inside! Grate rifles for anyone at the prices you can pick them up for!

I've owned two, the first in .223 calibre and now one in .308

The .223 was one of the early Howas and suffered terribly due to the rubbish hogue stock and heavy trigger.
I had the action bedded into the stock and the trigger reworked and it transformed the rifle into a 'proper shooter'.

I've just recently bought the .308 and completely stripped it down. I'm impressed with the solid engineering, and noted that where other supposed top end manufacturers are using plastic, howa is using metal.

The new mk11 trigger is a huge improvement over the old version, and actually for a factory trigger really quite nice to use.. . The new version of the hogue stock is also a huge improvement, and with a bit of fettling should be perfectly serviceable.

I was going to finish by saying "they are great rifles for the money" but the truth of it is they're just great rifles.

Would that .223 have been the blued one I had from you as a stopgap, while a Border was being built?, If so I wish I still had it! take the nads off of a bluebottle at a great distance!!:D

Would that .223 have been the blued one I had from you as a stopgap, while a Border was being built?, If so I wish I still had it! take the nads off of a bluebottle at a great distance!!:D

Yes that's the one :D
Wish I had kept it as well, don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Nothing wrong with the howa s , I had one off brock and norris in 6.5 , semi custom shoots very well

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416657812437.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416657812437.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 81
I've got 3 two in 22/250 and one in 270, all accurate out of the box. The 270 is in stainless with a nutmeg thumbhole stock and everyone who's seen it has commented on what a tidy bit of kit it is

Does no one ever use the "SEARCH" function on this forum?? The twice-a-month "Howa 1500: Are they any good?" question. Always the same guys responding saying that they are good rifles.:rolleyes:

And I'll add my 2 cents worth. Excellent rifles, especially the latest models with the revamped triggers. Hard to go wrong with them.:D~Muir

Andy, the "Search" function on this site seems to be something that only Vulcans can use with some success!!....I always struggle with it , so maybe my Vulcan line is a bit distant?

you "Own an assortment of Sakos, Tikkas, Rugers, and Remingtons" so you surely must be familiar with firearms and must have encountered Howa's before unless you have been in deep cover somewhere

This is as random and nonsensical as it gets! I love this post :lol:

Nothing wrong with the howa s , I had one off brock and norris in 6.5 , semi custom shoots very well

Some impressive grouping there! Cheers everyone. Very helpful. I was very close to spending a lot of money on a new toy for an upcoming Alaskan hunt, but eventually I talked myself into opting for something cost effective that I won't worry about much during transit or in harsh weather conditions. A new Howa will be coming home soon.

Last edited:
This is as random and nonsensical as it gets! I love this post :lol:

How is my comment "random" Adrian? The words I used were far from "random".
I am genuinely surprised that anyone who shoots and who owns a number of rifles of different manufacture so would not be an absolute newcomer to shooting, has not encountered the Howa rifles.

Came across a shop that has a few of these and the prices are quite good. Anyone has experience with them? How are they when talking our of box accuracy and build quality? Cheers.

Excellent, reliable, accurate and very cheap.
The 1500 Stainless needs little or no cleaning and maintenance and still delivers.
Mine has a standard Hogue overmoulded stock in sand colour which stands out because very few people have it and it is not an option anymore I believe.
Ignore the comments that the stock is too flexible when used with a bipod - yes there is a tiny little flex in it but it doesn't effect accuracy at all.
Holding its own on the range against the boys with Blasers and other premium kit.
My only (minor) point is that I would have liked to see the barrel to be a little shorter, so make sure you that your moderator is an over-the-barrel design.

Spent the money you save on a really good bino, your prime stalking tool.

Back