Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the point of bore guides?

What is the point of bore guides?

What is the point of a bore guide?

You frequently see them vehemently recommended, and dire warnings are cast about the irresponsibility of cleaning without one.

I have one - and use it, but without any real conviction that it serves any purpose.

Thoughts?

I've always understood their purpose to be twofold:

1. To ensure that the cleaning rod and jag enters the bore correctly centred, without scraping the chamber or throat, and;

2. To prevent potentially corrosive cleaning fluids from dripping down into the trigger group and magazine well.

I use Dewey bore guides, mostly to prevent the trigger mechanism being doused in Butch's Bore Shine. Probably not necessary if using a more gelatinous cleaning compound.

A.

One important thing to check with them,as I have found to my cost,is that the rod exits the barrel fully so that whatever tool you have on the end can be unscrewed.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    One important thing to check with them,as I have found to my cost,is that the rod exits the barrel fully so that whatever tool you have on the end can be unscrewed.
    Does this mean you remove the jag every time you put a patch through? This would make cleaning quite time consuming would it not?

I've just started using a bore guide. Previously I barely cleaned my rifles for fear of doing more harm than good.

Time is some thing you expend on your favourite past time, do you make sure you fully expend time on yours?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave88 View Post
    Does this mean you remove the jag every time you put a patch through? This would make cleaning quite time consuming would it not?

I've just started using a bore guide. Previously I barely cleaned my rifles for fear of doing more harm than good.
    Yes on centrefires I take the dirty patch off when it emerges from the barrel every time. The dirt/fouling or whatever doesn't get dragged back into the barrel that way. I do the same with the phosphor brush then clean it.
    Anal but logical and yes it does take a bit of time but not much. Going by what others have said on here,I don't clean the .22lr very often.

I cant figure out how something made of plastic with a bit of bronze stuck on the end can damage a steel barrel, I can drift out steel pins with a bronze drift and a lump hammer without damaging the steel pin, but just rubbing something gently with a small bit of bronze damages it?
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

It's probably all psychology, an awful lot of kit sold is to solve a problem that doesn't really exist.
    I think the only real advantage of using a bore guide is to keep the chemical cleaning stuff out of places you don't want it to go.

Never used one, never had an issue with accuracy that I can tell!

I try to use hoppes no9 every 100 rounds or so....and a pull through every now and again.

i ensure I give them a wipe down with an oily rag after use.

my 202 will cloverleaf consistently with conservative homeloads.

regards,
    Gixer

Perhaps it's just me but I've had one too many jammed patches at the point it exits the guide so they now simply decorate my Reloading Den. Something to do with needing to use a smaller than ideal patch to compensate for the narrowing guide head required to achieve the non leak function?

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 25-11-2014 at 06:17.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.