Is the 6.5x47 Lapua suitable for Boar?

Are you sure about the 10 gram minimum? Around here it tends to be 9 gram, and I'm quite sure it's adopted from abroad. Hard to find reputable sources for e.g. France or Germany (in English) but it seemed to me 6.5mm and E100 of 2000J would suffice in Germany?

Thinking this through, doesn't mainland Europe mandate min weight of 10 gm for boar, so in 6.5 that is 156gr ammo at 10.1gm...

I do't think that you can really generalise on this Farticus, as each country and sometimes a region within a country may have different legal requirements. I think you just have to do your homework before you go and research what that standard is in the country you are visiting.

I know that some of the Scandinavian countries make an exception for 6.5mm with heavy bullets but I believe that the more common legal minimum calibre in many European countries is 6.9 or 7mm. However as you say minimum bullet weights of around 10 gram or 150 grain is the norm.
In all probability 6.5x47 Lapua wouldn't meet the minimum legal standards as regards bullet weight/muzzle energy in some European countries.

In Sweden you must use a class 1 weapon of at least 6.5 and 9g, 2700j at 100mtrs or 10g 2000j at 100mtrs. There was a study printed in one of our hunting magazines a couple of years ago showing the wounding of boar with various calibers. 6.5 gave the most wounding 9.3 the least.

I don't understand why anyone would go on a hunting trip, paying or invited and not go with a suitable caliber rifle and decent ammo. I work on the principal that when i am shooting driven game i want a caliber and bullet that will deal with the biggest of boar or moose if one should run in front of me.

There are plenty of premium bullets on the market now and no reason not to use them. 180 grn Oryx or 180grn Remington premium bonded for every thing from roe to boar,moose for me.

Something with big sharp tusks running scared in my direction, choice of 6.5x47 or 30-06 ? There is no choice in my eyes, the '47 is an accurate round no doubt, but when dealing with boar, there's nowt too big, but plenty too small. I'd rather be over gunned than **** off a boar and get charged

I wouldn't go below 270 win. Ideal would be 30-06 or 308. The expense of the rifle is the cheapest part of the hunt. Get a second hand 30-06 Howa , Rem 700, ....... and a scope for driven shooting. You won't regret it. Wounding the boar of your life with a 6.5x47 and not finding it, will be something you never forget.

How good is it ?

Well they were buy one box get one free so i stocked up. So far on boar they have been perfect with little meat damage. Last moose i shot was with my homeload 180grn Oryx.
They kill roe OK as well.

Only one thing that i don't like about them is they look like they were kicked round the factory before they were packed. Norma are always shiney and RWS look like a box of fine chocolates.
Remington look like sh!te. But they were cheap and they shoot OK.

Are you sure about the 10 gram minimum? Around here it tends to be 9 gram, and I'm quite sure it's adopted from abroad. Hard to find reputable sources for e.g. France or Germany (in English) but it seemed to me 6.5mm and E100 of 2000J would suffice in Germany?

It is similar in Switzerland. 6.5mm is allowed if it can produce 2000J of energy at 100m. Most people I know use a minimum of a 30 Calibre with 8x57 and 300WM being the most common that I see. If recoil is an issue, fit a muzzle brake. I have a 9.3x62 as well but use it mostly for practice.

Well.... It was a hell of a day and I was lucky enough to shoot 4 boar. All in the first drive. One of the most magical days hunting I've ever had. Totally thrilling when the pigs come screaming past and even better when you connect!

I took the .30-06 and used the 180grain SST's. They certainly seemed to be stopping them and the bullet exited every time. Very pleased I went to the effort of taking my own rifle although British Airways didn't seem to have a clear protocol for processing Firearms. Clueless bunch and needless to say they charged me a small fortune in hidden fees. They also damaged my Firearms case despite it being covered in fragile stickers! I won't be flying BA again unless I have no other choice! Virgin don't charge anything and were extremely efficient in comparison by the way.

Remington or Federal 180-gr RN ammunition is good stuff. You don't have precise shot placement on moving boar, so I want penetration, but something which opens without breaking up. If you handload, the Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame and Trophy Bonded 180-gr are super bullets in the .30-06.

Back