Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Odd expereince with second hand dies.

Odd expereince with second hand dies.

Prepped a good amount of cases with a set of second hand .300 dies, no problems with the first batch of cases, Set to again last weekend & after around ten cases went through no probs, suddenly started getting dented shoulders! So straight off I think I have overdone the lube? but no, the die must have had some really old deposits right up in the top of the die & re use with fresh lube had set it going again, I washed out the dies when I got them so did not expect any trouble ... left the die in meths for the week, tried again, dented case, Noticed that there was some light green plastic like deposit around the lock ring (I assumed it must be part of the lube makeup)so I put it in a pan of boiling water containing strong bleach, this green stuff starts fizzing just like a dose of Andrews liver salts , finally another clean with cotton buds revealed a rust like brown muck coming off, dies now in bin,contacted Spud for a brand new set of RCBS
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

So, if it was rust, and not old oils and lube, how did that dent your shoulders?~Muir

How strange.
    Rust eats into metal so would not have expected dents in the brass, dents are normally caused by lumps of something in the die !!!!!
    Last edited by EMcC; 22-11-2014 at 16:11.

If the wee vent hole was blocked could that not cause denting?

Al

sounds like someone put loctite on the nut and some went down the vent hole still liquid then hardened off wit repeated compression during resizing , loctite is anaerobic - that's how it works .
    "This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Rust "Like" as in colour, but quite gungy, maybe the Loctite theory?.... vent hole was always clear, they are in the proper place now.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    they are in the proper place now.
    Steve you gave up too soon
    I'd have loved to have got to the bottom of the problem just to satisfy myself if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Rust "Like" as in colour, but quite gungy, maybe the Loctite theory?.... vent hole was always clear, they are in the proper place now.
    Pah! You took the intellectually easy way out! Rust or Loctite still doesn't explain the dents. I'd want to know what caused the dents.~Muir

I can only assume that the lube I was applying in stages, as I went through the cases, built up against whatever this original muck was, & possibly set it going again, I sized (perfectly) & nice & clean too, around forty cases before the denting started., the green plastic like deposits on the outside of the die appeared after being soaked for a week in meths, I thought maybe this was a product of the lube, either mine or whatever was inside the die neck?, this stuff didn't stop fizzing even when the gas was turned off on the cooker ring.

You dont have a lot of joy with used Dies the 270 ones I borrowed of you were damaged if you remember.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY