Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bleach cockup

bleach cockup

right, so I've done tons of cleaning, boiling and bleaching jobs, bread and butter.

for some reason when I just removed the cotton wool with bleach (9%) after a few days the skulls had not gone white as usual and are a bit yellow..very odd because it always works perfectly for me like that, always!

anyway, it's now illegal to buy over 12% H2O2 in the UK, so what the hell do I do to get them white as the bleach clearly isn't doing the job?

I use this stuff Slika Creme Peroxide 40 Vol 12% 1 Litre - SLI052:Amazon.co.uk:Beauty

No cotton wool needed as its a thick cream, just paint on and then rinse off a few hours later

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    right, so I've done tons of cleaning, boiling and bleaching jobs, bread and butter.

for some reason when I just removed the cotton wool with bleach (9%) after a few days the skulls had not gone white as usual and are a bit yellow..very odd because it always works perfectly for me like that, always!

anyway, it's now illegal to buy over 12% H2O2 in the UK, so what the hell do I do to get them white as the bleach clearly isn't doing the job?
    the sun will help with the whitening, but you might have to wait a few months!

99% h2o2 on ebAy

bleach doesn't turn bones white it turns them yellow

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post

I'm not sure what causes it but yellowing from bleach is actually quite common. It's something to do with the chlorine.

anyway, it's now illegal to buy over 12% H2O2 in the UK
    Really? First I've heard of this. What law has changed?

I've always used standard run of the mill food grade peroxide at 35%. Is this no longer available?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Really? First I've heard of this. What law has changed?
    Found it... The Control of Explosives Precursors Regulations 2014

More unwelcome inconvenience for us in the name of controlling 'terror'.

12% should still work, you'll just have to leave for longer....
    Last edited by csl; 22-11-2014 at 20:29.

sorry, never used bleach, meant to say hydrogen peroxide

Oh ok. How old is the peroxide?

It's not very stable stuff and will turn to water over time. I'd say worst case you've just had no bleaching effect and bone when wet looks more yellow anyway. Try with fresh peroxide and then let it dry out fully and it should look more white.

Go to a hair dressers and ask for some whitener it comes as a blue powder and just add a spoon fill to the peroxide and leave for 12 hours.

Gallons of 35% on ebay

the 99% I bought a while ago is no longer.....lucky me!