Rifle sling help??

jamesbilling

alright fella's I'm looking for a sling for my sako 85 laminate stainless varmint barrel with a zeiss duralyt 3-12x50 scope, a atlas bipod and are ultra sl 5 mod. heavy bit of kit!

just wondering if anyone you know where i can get a real nice leather sling from to finish off the rifle?

all help appreciated

cheers

JB

I have a Turner Saddlery leather sling that is good quality. Have not however used it in the field as a stalking sling. It would need a bit of TLC to keep it in good condition. Just ordered a TAB sling due to arrive any day now which I think will suit my needs better. I recall seeing a website for someone here in the UK that made copies of the US military leather slings. A google search should locate it.

seriously have a look in your local music shop us shooters arnt the only ones that use slings/straps some real nice guitar straps done in leather.

I have a couple of heavy rifles and to be honest wouldn't entertain using a leather sling. Too little give which Makes you feel the weight before too long. The best solution I have found is to use side mounted flush cups with a Niggeloh backpack sling. A 16lb rifle can be carried all day in comfort

I have no idea what it is called or even who it is made by but I have a leather sling that not only looks the part but is made from very good bridle leather and at around £50 well worth it.
I got mine from Braces of Bristol so all I can say is give them a ring and tell them what you are after and ask them to describe it more thoroughly.
Sorry to be so flimsey with the details but I am not PC literate enough to post a picture but all I can say is you would have a job to beat it for quality and value.

My friend who is a leather maker in his spare time made me the enclosed leather and canvas sling. Beautiful yet practical for carrying my rifles due to the width of the canvas. If you are interested I can ask him if he would make another (note he is based in the uk). View attachment 49468

Dougster - he'll be at Newark so you can see his work first hand. For a heavier rifle, his leather/canvass sling is well worth a look.

We've a 'relationship' so declaring that here, but he does my leather gear and I'm impressed with everything he produces. Though dont forget everything is cheaper from China via Ebay :D

The ones I am talking about from Braces are not from China or available on E Bay but are not as expensive as some bespoke slings because they are made in bulk, I expect.
They are equal to some bespoke slings I have seen, I'd say identical and could have been used as a pattern.

I would seriously consider SR Vets recommendation. Carrying a heavy rifle for any period of time is about balancing the load as much as anything else - the Niggeloh Rucksling is very good indeed. Also look at the Z-Aim sling. Neither are leather, but both do an excellent job when carrying for a long period of time.

The only person I will trust to furnish support for my rifle:

eaa8eee0-bcf0-4638-9c32-9bfc8d572205_zps9ba03259.jpg

K

+ 1 for Dougster.

Been trying a Z Aim synthetic one recently and it's okay.

Last edited:
I find that for walking long distance, I prefer a neoprene as it takes the bounce out of the rifle, so making it feel lighter due to not jarring.

I've got a z aim which is nice as it stops the rifle moving around on your shoulder so your hands free - it works well and it's got stretchie neoprene which allows a bit of bounce the only thing I don't like is where the strap bit goes around the grip by the trigger I find im constantly moving it out the way when going to take a shot but other than that it's fine

I've tried a freinds nigeloh backpack sling which feels nice as it spreads the load over both shoulders is a quality product and you don't have anything in your way when shooting the only gripe is when you detach one side strap to get the gun into positon it's a fumble to find the straps to clip back together

both are good in different ways and both do a good job hmmm I don't now which one I'd really prefer tho maybe the z aim and just put up with slideing the clipped strap back for a shot

I have a couple of heavy rifles and to be honest wouldn't entertain using a leather sling. Too little give which Makes you feel the weight before too long. The best solution I have found is to use side mounted flush cups with a Niggeloh backpack sling. A 16lb rifle can be carried all day in comfort
+1 I use the same, but with the weight of a t8 mod on end, have to sling it barrel facing down.

I like these.
CVA-Its-Just-A-Better-Gun-1326619058.jpg
The Claw Rifle Sling -O.D. Green" title="The Claw Rifle Sling -O.D. Green
" width="320" border="0">

It's not an expensive sling, and not leather, but if you want a rifle to stay put on our shoulder this is the one. Called a "Claw" by Quake Industries. About $25 US.

Carrying a 16 pound rifle??? Sheesh! ~Muir

I recommend a canvas and leather sling, as discussed above. Much more comfortable than a leather one IMO.
One of my rifles weighs in at over 12lbs and I've carried it for hours and hours in the heat of Africa using a really well made canvas sling which I happened across in a gunshop in Somerset, many years ago. I use that same sling on my stalking rifle.
I have found that the problem with leather slings, especially wide ones, is that they are stiff across the width of the strap and do not flex to conform to the contours of your shoulder. The edges dig in, causing those aches and pains.
I should think that one of those backpack type slings would be ideal for a very heavy rifle.
Peter

Back